Brooder walls, how tall?

well it depends on how old your chicks are--the breed...and of course as they get older the brooder is going to have to get bigger and expande...util they can go out to the coop --or "big chick coop";....so what is your set up now? what r your ready for? or what are you wanting?
yippiechickie.gif

Of what age? Truth is you will most likely need a top as they will be over a 3' side in no time, within a week or two. If this is an indoor brooder, an inexpensive solution is bird netting from the garden dept. If you happen to have an old window screen or two around, they work well.

Mine are 3 weeks and get out at 4 ft---aout 6 out of 13 get out.....but still love them---but they still amaze me!!!! LOL

I had to buy screen for them because latttice wont work anymore....but I know already screen won't work much longer....Sorry to say but I have underestimated what I need to do for my chicks...So please overestimate...LOL

I find that you really can't have the walls to high, mine I could barely reach in to get the feeders out to fill (I am pretty tall) and using said feeder the chicks were over in no time.Maybe the best thing would be to go ahead and make a wire top for any brooder you construct and then you can have it any height. Be sure it is high enough so you can adjust the lamp/light.

I think I must be really lucky so far... I hadn't really thought about them getting out until I read this! I have about 3.5'-4' high sides and chicks ranging from about 1 week to 4 weeks and they don't get out. They started getting out (the older ones) of my smaller/shorter brooder, so I made this new one, but it's in a room of my house and I haven't seen them out of it yet. I better get my coop ready asap!
smile.png

Thanks all. I have 4 in a big clear plastic bin, it's only about a foot tall though. They are 1 week, 2 days old (assuming hatchery mailed them out as day olds?). So far I've been lucky and no one has gotten out. Brooder building tomorrow! I'm thing kiddie pool with some sort of fencing for walls....

Back
Top Bottom