Brooder

2907 Chicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Hey guys so I'm getting my new brinsea mini advance on Monday and I want a simple idea for a brooder but I don't want ones made out of them storage tubs I would rather have one out of wood ideas please ;)

Would you that would be great it for about seven chicks at a time and most probably fourteen it would be goo if I could separate it somehow for the younger and older chickens:rolleyes:

You just need a wooden box, size is whatever fits where you are putting it, but generally larger is better. Look at a plastic storage tub and make a wooden box like that. IMO, plastic is much more hygienic because it can be cleaned more thoroughly, but wood (and even cardboard) were used before modern plastics provided a better material.

here is what i came up with for you.
5-6 foot long
2.5-3 ft half sections (if your creative make them removable)
3-4 foot wide
2-2.5 foot tall

should look something like this in the end.

I made 2 that I use all the time. They are 18" wide X 18" tall X 4' long and can be made from 1 sheet of plywood. Heat is provided by a single heat lamp on an electric baseboard thermostat. I built them bolted together at the corners so I can take them apart and stand the pieces against the wall when not being used. Make sure to cut ventilation cut outs in the top to get enough air circulation. I also ended up putting a hinge in the middle of the top so it was easier to get in but if I was doing it again I would just slide the top back and forth. It will hold up to 30 chicks for the first 2 weeks then I move them to a floor ring. Go to GQF's website and look at the commercially made brooder boxes for an idea of size and capacity.

Hello all,
can I hijack this thread for a lil?

see here below I have this shelf I would like to convert into a multi layered brooder.... ideas? How do I go about doing it? I need as much info as possible pls. I have never made a brooder before.

Back
Top Bottom