Brooders: Start small and go bigger or start big?

kwm6620

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2015
Mississippi
I'm anxiously awaiting my shipment of 8 chicks the first week of May. I was planning on using a dog kennel (about 24" x 36") for my brooder but am worried that it will be too small as they get larger. Saw a neat brooder made out of cardboard boxes that looked very efficient and much larger. The question is: do I start in the kennel then go to the cardboard when they start looking crowded or just go ahead and start with the larger cardboard brooder? I don't want to stress or upset them with the change...but then again it may be a nice transition before moving outside to the coop. Thoughts?

I started with big. Probably the same type of thing with cardboard and they did great. I had 20 sq ft and only 8 chicks.
Do you have something to put under the feeder and waterer because chicks can get really messy.

Thanks for your thoughts...and yes, I plan on using some type of tray for their feeder and waterer to cut down on the mess. Also plan on using newspaper or "pee pee pads" under the pine shavings to keep from soaking through the cardboard if I go that route.

Just curious...how do you add a signature line (where you have your quote)?

Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif
Always go big! They grow fast so the more room the better, especially their outdoor coop. You never know when "chicken math" will strike!

Thanks for your thoughts...and yes, I plan on using some type of tray for their feeder and waterer to cut down on the mess. Also plan on using newspaper or "pee pee pads" under the pine shavings to keep from soaking through the cardboard if I go that route.

Just curious...how do you add a signature line (where you have your quote)?
If you put your mouse over your profile name then it should come up with several things. Just click the one that says 'edit signature'.

Last edited:
Dur. I was hovering over my name on the post...and not the name at the upper right! THANK YOU!! :) Now to think of something clever!

Well I spoke too soon...when I click on the "edit my signature" it tells me I'm not allowed to edit the signature. I'll figure it out eventually! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom