1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Randhawa chickens, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Randhawa chickens

Randhawa chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Australia
    HI all
    I was hoping to try and find a good design for a brooder that is easy to build and cheap
    but it has to be able to hold alot of chicks around 50 as i hatch alot of chicks when i put any eggs in
    thanks in advance for any ideas [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. nickrex98

nickrex98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    georgia
    OK go to Walmart by a real big plastic storage bin, get a heat lap, and some pee pads for dog used as the bedding,

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:That might now work for 50+ chicks..

But a plastic kiddie pool would [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Plywood sheathing from a home building supply store. Two sheets of what we call OSB or oriented strand board, will only cost you $7 a sheet USD.

One sheet forms the bottom. 4' by 8'. The other sheet forms the sides. For $15 USD, you have a genuine, 32 square foot brooder. You'll need every square inch when they are 4 weeks old. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    X2 Kiddie pools are great, but the walls aren't high enough, and eventually the chicks will start

jumping out, so I'd put some chicken wire or something around the sides to prevent that. Other

than that they're very easy to clean, & they hold quite a few chicks. Plastic storage bins are also

great, but I would imagine you would need atleast 3 bins, for 50 chicks.

6. Randhawa chickens

Randhawa chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Australia
    Thanks for the ideas I should be able to wip something up now and just for the record
    I am in australia [​IMG]

7. BrazellDazell

BrazellDazell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Genoa
    Quote:I too am trying to work out my brooder situation my coop and run are all ready i have a light and chick feeders but a plastic container seems so confined to me i can't make a decision! Thanks for posting this thread!![​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Since I'm a Southern Redneck I'm pretty handy with duct tape and cardboard. If your brooder is going to be inside this might work well for you:

[​IMG]

You don't really need the hutch when the chicks are small. Of course this set-up won't work where there are kids, pets or predators, but the Cardboard Corral worked well for me. Once the chicks were ready to go to the big coop, I simply recycled the cardboard and kept the hutch for next time. You can make the corral as big or as small as you need. I used a blue tarp to protect the floor and simply rolled it up to dispose of the waste in the compost heap.

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    LOL! I prefer the duct tape and cardboard method myself. For inside brooders where the chicks are safe from predators, it's perfect. You can start off small and expand the floor area as they get larger. ANd when it gets dirty, you just chuck it away and start again with some clean cardboard.

10. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    People have used the boxes that they sell watermelons out of... maybe you can ask a grocer for one of those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by