Broodies on eggs? Broodies with babies? Post here.

Yay!!!!
clap.gif

OMG! I am never going to get under the turkey to get at the extra eggs now. When it rains it pours. I have five hens, two turkeys and at least three chicken pullets laying into the same nest and now the MEANER of the two turkeys stays on the nest while the other is off.

Gail is such a battle axe. At least Mildred only hissed at me. Two broody turkeys at once takes the cake. It's pretty wild to go in there and find a PR on one side of the turkey and a BA on the otherside happily laying eggs into the already occupied nest.

This is going to be very interesting.

It looked like one of my broody's eggs was moving this morning not sure if it hatched but she came out to drink and poop and it was moving also i have another silkie hen going broody she sits on anybodys egg but she also ate one EE egg this morning was it because it wasn't fertile all the other eggs were fine? Mmm

ooh ooh!

this morning while momma was off the nest, i could have sworn when I picked up one of the nice toasty eggs, that it was moving ever so slightly, AND when I tapped the egg slightly I THOUGHT I heard a tiny tap, and itty bitty peep come from it, it'll be two days tomorrow til they are do, but I could swear by my...eye, that I heard it, but then again, it could've been the chicks a few feed away fooling around.

My broody finally hatched an egg! I put 2 chicks from the incubator with her, but she kicked them out on day two. I hoped she would do better with her own, but she wouldn't let it under her and kept shoving it out of the nest! The poor thing was freezing and screaming for help, so I put it in a brooder and bought a batch of chicks from Tractor Supply to keep it company. I'm so angry at the momma! All she wants to do is sit on eggs, not be a momma:mad:

Maybe I'm just mad, but she may be headed for the stew pot at molt! What's the use of a broody if she only hatches the eggs?! I'm so frustrated! At least all my new babies should be fun to watch grow. It's the variety pack!
gig.gif

Congrats you guys!!! On babies and peeping and pipping. I've got a long way to go with my first two broodies.

It's not such a bad thing that your hen only hatches chicks then rejects them... She's a very cheap to run incubator and you don't have to turn eggs! Let your lower electricity bill be your guide. And someday maybe she'll get the idea. She should be stew if she ate the eggs, but not for hatching them. She may have been incubated and never had a mom and needed that input. Or like some of us, just not too good at mothering. At least she's not killing them. Hang in there she may get it yet.

Me I'm about to go outside for may daily whooping from the velociraptor in the hen house.
barnie.gif
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom