1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broodies running out my ears!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skeeter9, Jul 9, 2007.

1. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

For crying out loud!!! I finally get my broody Australorp settled with the eggs I bought, along with some of my own and some of our neighbor's, I go out to the hen house this morning and what do I find, but 2 more very broody girls!!!! You should have heard the squawking and seen the puffing when I tried to clean out the nesting boxes!!! As I was cleaning out under one of the new broodies, I discovered that she had stolen some eggs from the original broody. The little stinker had to have rolled the eggs through a very small opening from one nest to the next! I know they were stolen, because they were some of the Marans eggs I ordered - much darker than the eggs my own hens lay. I guess I will have to divide the eggs up so they don't fight over them!!

Lori

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    I know your pain!

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    [​IMG] I know what you mean! I have tried to remove the eggs to break them up, but nothing works. I'm giving up and letting THEM figure it out. I don't "need" any more chicks, but they insist on setting. They are silkies, and BOY are they broody!

They keep stealing eggs from each other. [​IMG]

5. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I'm just itching for one or two of my girls to go broody... I have found that chickens are a little addictive and I can't wait to add to the flock! Unfortunately, I still have several weeks before they even start laying...

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Silly girls!!!

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Yeah, I hear ya! Did you see my post about Earline? I think it's a good idea just dividing up the eggs. I sure do hope your marans eggs hatch! Those eggs are sooo pretty!

Ellen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by