Ended Broodies & Their Babies Photo Contest

Pics
Not Entry

Lucy II and her three chicks: Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantams

IMG_1814.JPG

Entry #4. I only entered 3 pictures earlier because I was convinced another great moment would come along. Well, I went to close up the coop tonight and found that mama had decided it was time to move her brood out of the nursery nest and up to the roost with the rest of the flock. She encouraged them up there and tucked them safely under her wings. I continue to be blown away at how wonderful this hen is at mothering - seeing that she's only a year old herself and has no experience what-so-ever. If only human mamas could be as confident in trusting their natural instincts. :) (I'm raising some myself and know that mothering can raise doubt in even the most secure moms) These hens can teach us lessons if we pay attention - thank you my big mama hen! 🥰
mama on roost.jpg

Entry #4. I only entered 3 pictures earlier because I was convinced another great moment would come along. Well, I went to close up the coop tonight and found that mama had decided it was time to move her brood out of the nursery nest and up to the roost with the rest of the flock. She encouraged them up there and tucked them safely under her wings. I continue to be blown away at how wonderful this hen is at mothering - seeing that she's only a year old herself and has no experience what-so-ever. If only human mamas could be as confident in trusting their natural instincts. :) (I'm raising some myself and know that mothering can raise doubt in even the most secure moms) These hens can teach us lessons if we pay attention - thank you my big mama hen! 🥰
View attachment 3515532
BTW, she has 3 chicks nestled in there... and because to a mother's dismay (& joy) there is sometimes one child that's a free-bird at heart, notice the 4th chick up on a wire hanging from the rafters (**the picture of my free spirited chick is not a content entry). Human moms, I know some of you can relate! 🤣
rafter chick.jpg

BTW, she has 3 chicks nestled in there... and because to a mother's dismay (& joy) there is sometimes one child that's a free-bird at heart, notice the 4th chick up on a wire hanging from the rafters (**the picture of my free spirited chick is not a content entry). Human moms, I know some of you can relate! 🤣
That was *me* as a child. Almost gave my granny a heart attack when she found me on top of the fridge!

Back
Top Bottom