Ended Broodies & Their Babies Photo Contest

:woot Congrats, hatching is a blast!

Thanks! I've got too small (possibly dumb) questions. In the incubator instructions it says to not turn on the automatic turner trays till day three. I know that in day 18 we turn of the auto tunrers and place the eggs on the hatching tray. Also, this is totally dumb, but I need to make sure. Pointy side up, right:lau

Thanks! I've got too small (possibly dumb) questions. In the incubator instructions it says to not turn on the automatic turner trays till day three. I know that in day 18 we turn of the auto tunrers and place the eggs on the hatching tray. Also, this is totally dumb, but I need to make sure. Pointy side up, right:lau
Some people don't start turning eggs until day 3, some start on day 1. I have always started turning on day 1, most professional hatcheries start on day one as well. This has always been controversial, I personally don't think it matters. Turning helps keep the yolk centered and gives the growing embroyo new food as the egg gets turned. Big end up, pointy down! :D

Oof that was a close call! (Well not that close). I've not had them resting per se, I've just been collecting them as they come, the oldest is 5 days old, since they come from my flock, and like Wind I thought that the resting period was for shipped eggs only. Is that OK?

Oof that was a close call! (Well not that close). I've not had them resting per se, I've just been collecting them as they come, the oldest is 5 days old, since they come from my flock, and like Wind I thought that the resting period was for shipped eggs only. Is that OK?
5 days is fine. Eggs stay fertile at least 10 or so days.

Back
Top Bottom