Broodiness vs Egg bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bokbokbacok, Sep 26, 2012.

1. bokbokbacok

bokbokbacok Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2012
    Ok, I have been viewing the threads on both topics and am just wanting some confirmation on my decision. I have a mixed hen (she is my beautiful friendly "Fluffy") who I believe to be broody. However, I want to make sure she isn't egg bound. She has been sitting on her nest for 2 days, non stop, hunkered down,fluffed up, and gives a strange cackle of protest to anyone peeking at her or any other hens coming near her. I am able to lift her off the nest and force her outside. Only then will she take a short moment to eat or drink. She does fluff up while being in the yard but seems to walk and run normally. Only after this quick snack will she go right back into the coop and sit on her selected nest. I have gotten NO eggs from her yet. That would be as of yesterday and today...2 missing from dear Fluffy. I did my best to examine her....and I don't necessarily feel an eggs but really don't know what I'm doing as far as that goes...lol. The only other thing I can say about the examination is that her vent seems clean but she is "winking?" as if she is trying to lay? So, what are your thoughts? Broody or egg bound?
    Thanks!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    She defiantly sounds broody to me.

3. bokbokbacok

May 15, 2012
    Thanks Kevin.
    That is what I was thinking but I would HATE to be wrong due to our newness at raising chickens. It helps to have other opps. [​IMG]

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Yep, sounds like you have a broody hen.

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    You have a broody hen. Congratulations! We had our black silkie pullet go broody three days ago too! She has fourteen eggs under her. YES!

6. bokbokbacok

May 15, 2012
    Wow! 14 eggs! Its somewhat funny to watch her. She is really a very nice hen and does not peck at me. I pet her. Is that weird...lol? She is a mixed breed, I'm sure but she is the friendliest hen I have. She has been off the next for the past couple of days but I am still missing that one egg in my daily count and suspect it is her. Now, I think she must have been whispering to my second best hen, "chico" (I know its boy in Spanish but the kids named her) because although she isn't broody like "Fluffy" has been, Chico likes to go back into the hen house and collect everyone elses eggs and sit on them until I remove them. Its fun to watch her grab pieces of sawdust and push them under her body. Chico is still laying and really hasn't been a problem because she will get up immediately after I collect the eggs from her and she goes outside. One of my hens gave me two HUGE double yokers between yesterday and today...btw. I'm ecstatic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by