Brooding box tips!

Dershov

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Hello again fellow BYC friends!

So I am picking up my first four chicks from my local farm supply store next week! Needless to say I am super excited. Now I have to get my brooding box together. Right now my plan is to use a large cardboard box and woodchips. This is appealing because it is probably the most affordable way. However, I am concerned about the fire hazard from the heat lamp being close the the cardboard! Is this a legitimate concern or am I being paranoid?

I have not gotten any materials yet so I am still very open to brooding box ideas. What have you guys done to save a buck and still have a safe, functional brooding box? Can't wait to hear any and all ideas/suggestions!

Thanks in advanced BYC!

Nightbird1001

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Alaska
if you keep the light far enough away I don't think you will have a problem with fire but there is always that possibility with any electrical meets flammable mixes but we had no problem (because we were paranoid, being paranoid when it comes to this type of thing is very very good). For bedding I use pine shavings it keeps the smell down and it makes the chicks smell sweet at least to me my parents and brother don't think so. Don't confuse Pine with Cedar (Cedar can kill chicks and full grown adults). Anything else would be fine, just make sure they are not slipping all over the place or else they could develop permanent leg problems. also when they get older I would be very wise to hang they're feeder and waterer it helps prevent sickness and you don't have clean out the bedding poop mix with your finger/s
. To save some money on the brooder we went to the store (Wal-Mart, Fred Myers, etc.) and asked if they had any boxes and once we explained why we needed it they happily gave one to us.

Top Bottom