Brooding cages

Oh I’m going to make my own no way I’m I paying those prices and I don’t need for 30-40 birds I’ll only be raising 15-20 birds max at one time so I’ll be making something much smaller.

Oh I’m going to make my own no way I’m I paying those prices and I don’t need for 30-40 birds I’ll only be raising 15-20 birds max at one time so I’ll be making something much smaller.

If it's not too much trouble could you post pictures when you're done. I want to make a brooder soon that would be for about the same amount of birds and am looking for ideas too. I was thinking of trying to do something like a half sized coturnix corner one with a pull out cleaning tray.

Was going to build something similar to the one I showed but with a wire bottom and legs that a cooking pan would slide into for cleaning

Thanks for the plans problem with that desighn is it’s designed for a outbuilding like a barn but I’m keeping these in my house so I need to lift and move it around to keep kids and dog out of it.

Have you tried using other bedding as a quicker solution? With kitchen paper I was having to clean out the brooder 2 or 3 times per day, but now they're on a carefresh type paper bedding that's good for a week. Admittedly there aren't as many but perhaps it would help? I know wire isn't great for their feet when they're young.

Thank you very much for the plans I didn't realize that he had pdf's like that. Do you think that 2x3 ft, the instead of the 6ft will be enough space for them to get away from the heat lamp if they need to.

Thank you very much for the plans I didn't realize that he had pdf's like that. Do you think that 2x3 ft, the instead of the 6ft will be enough space for them to get away from the heat lamp if they need to.
Yes it probably would be. I have my heat lamp hooked up to an inkbird controller to control the temperature. I fixed mine like one from Chris’ video on YouTube Slightly Rednecked using a plastic ammo box and electrical outlet. You could also put casters on the brooder so that it can be easily moved. I fixed mine with the wooden dowel rod so that I could adjust the height of the heat source and so that it wouldn’t be sitting directly on top of the door.

Thanks for the plans problem with that desighn is it’s designed for a outbuilding like a barn but I’m keeping these in my house so I need to lift and move it around to keep kids and dog out of it.
You could build it any way you like and paint it and put casters on it so that you can move it around easily and also place some plywood on top when not in use and use it for storage. You can do anything to it that you can think of.

Have you tried using other bedding as a quicker solution? With kitchen paper I was having to clean out the brooder 2 or 3 times per day, but now they're on a carefresh type paper bedding that's good for a week. Admittedly there aren't as many but perhaps it would help? I know wire isn't great for their feet when they're young.
We had kept hamsters, and I would buy paper and hemp bedding in bulk, and mix it for them, I had half a bag of each from before they died and I’ve had an opportunity this hatch to directly compare paper vs chip bedding, and the hemp certainly is better than the paper at odor control. If you have an opportunity give small chips like hemp or aspen a try, the pine, while cheap was not as great because the chips are so big compared to the feces, and they mix it up less. The paper, they only mix around when you first put it in, after they’ve pooped it up for a couple hours, I noticed mine stop digging and snuggling into it, and it gets a pooped up on top and wet underneath.

Back
Top Bottom