Brooding hen running away from eggs

As someone who has had broody hens hatch chicks before, this behavior is normal. During the first few days they are not super broody, and some hens are more protective of their eggs than others. It is best not to disturb her for the first few days, then after that she will probably be more broody and you can give her eggs. I have 2 broody Serama hens sitting on eggs now.

As someone who has had broody hens hatch chicks before, this behavior is normal. During the first few days they are not super broody, and some hens are more protective of their eggs than others. It is best not to disturb her for the first few days, then after that she will probably be more broody and you can give her eggs. I have 2 broody Serama hens sitting on eggs now.
Thanks, should I check the eggs after a week to look for development or just leave her alone

You should mark the eggs now and daily remove any additional ones laid in the nest by other hens.
That is what I have been doing with my broody Seramas. I gave the other hens a different nest box to lay in but they only seem interested in laying where the broodies are. Everytime I look under them for extra eggs though, I need to put on a glove and prepare for battle because those momma Serama hens are MEAN 🤣

Back
Top Bottom