Brooding Outside Tips Needed

Georgeschicks

Songster
Jul 5, 2017
baltimore maryland
Hi!
I am getting some more chicks next month and I would like to brood them outside to hopefully stop integration problems. I live in Maryland and in June our temperatures rarely get below 60. I have seen heating pads and caves made for people to brood chicks outside, but this has been in the winter. Will I need a heating pad and such for my chicks in the warmer weather? I know that the temperature in the brooder is supposed to be around 90 but I dont want to overheat them with a heating pad and warm weather.

My coop is oddly proportioned so although it has the right square footage for all my chickens and future chicks it would not be possible to fit a full-sized brooder in it. I have a very predator proofed outdoor run, so do you think it would be ok to put my brooder in the run instead of the coop?

Thanks.

Absolutely no expert

But yes they would need some sort of heat.

I have been using the chick heating pad ($29 on amazon) They can move on and off so no worries about overheating

Sort of like those brooder plates but much less expensive and I don’t have to fool with adjusting legs

Whatever you decide make sure it is designed for outdoor use as some of those brooder plates aren’t.

Will I need a heating pad and such for my chicks in the warmer weather? I know that the temperature in the brooder is supposed to be around 90 but I dont want to overheat them with a heating pad and warm weather.

You need to change your concept of brooding. A brooder does not need to be any certain temperature any more than the universe needs to be a certain temperature for a broody hen to raise her chicks. A broody hen provides a warm spot for her chicks to go to to warm up when they get cold. Your brooder needs a warm spot they can go to if they get cold. Your concern over them overheating is valid but a heating pad or heat plate isn't going to heat the whole thing if you have decent ventilation.

An added complexity in brooding out of doors is the temperature swings. In your house in a controlled environment it's pretty easy to brood as far as temperatures go. Outdoors I've seen the temperature go from below freezing to above 70* F within 36 hours. Your brooder needs to provide a spot warm enough in the coldest temperatures and a spot cool enough in the warmest temperatures. I do that with a heat lamp even when it is below freezing or over 70* F. You're not getting close to freezing. You'll need some heat but it should be pretty easy with a heat plate or heating pad. If they get hot they will leave and go where it is cooler. My chicks straight out of the incubator or from the post office handle that.

I don't use a heating pad so I can't tell you all the nuances of setting it up safely and properly. Hopefully someone with experience with one can help you with that. Heating pads are an excellent way to brood outdoors.

@aart do you do this? I can't remember. If you don't who does that's still active?

do you think it would be ok to put my brooder in the run instead of the coop?

A brooder needs to provide food, water, and a warm spot. It needs to protect against breezes hitting the chicks. In a run it would need to keep the chicks dry in the rain. You need to be able to safely run electricity to it even in the rain. You need decent ventilation. How well does your brooder meet these requirements? You said your run is predator proof.

Will I need a heating pad and such for my chicks in the warmer weather? I
You will probably still need heat for brand new day old chicks.
Might need less heat depending on the weather.
Show us your coop inside and out to help us help you.

@aart do you do this? I can't remember. If you don't who does that's still active?
Here's how I built my:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/

I don’t have to fool with adjusting legs
Those fiddly legs are what makes it adjustable so chicks can pick their sweet spot and not be trapped with the 'wrong' heat level.

And have used it out in coop during pretty chilly weather when I am:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Will I need a heating pad and such for my chicks in the warmer weather? I know that the temperature in the brooder is supposed to be around 90 but I dont want to overheat them with a heating pad and warm weather.

You need to change your concept of brooding. A brooder does not need to be any certain temperature any more than the universe needs to be a certain temperature for a broody hen to raise her chicks. A broody hen provides a warm spot for her chicks to go to to warm up when they get cold. Your brooder needs a warm spot they can go to if they get cold. Your concern over them overheating is valid but a heating pad or heat plate isn't going to heat the whole thing if you have decent ventilation.

An added complexity in brooding out of doors is the temperature swings. In your house in a controlled environment it's pretty easy to brood as far as temperatures go. Outdoors I've seen the temperature go from below freezing to above 70* F within 36 hours. Your brooder needs to provide a spot warm enough in the coldest temperatures and a spot cool enough in the warmest temperatures. I do that with a heat lamp even when it is below freezing or over 70* F. You're not getting close to freezing. You'll need some heat but it should be pretty easy with a heat plate or heating pad. If they get hot they will leave and go where it is cooler. My chicks straight out of the incubator or from the post office handle that.

I don't use a heating pad so I can't tell you all the nuances of setting it up safely and properly. Hopefully someone with experience with one can help you with that. Heating pads are an excellent way to brood outdoors.

do you think it would be ok to put my brooder in the run instead of the coop?

A brooder needs to provide food, water, and a warm spot. It needs to protect against breezes hitting the chicks. In a run it would need to keep the chicks dry in the rain. You need to be able to safely run electricity to it even in the rain. You need decent ventilation. How well does your brooder meet these requirements? You said your run is predator proof.
Thanks so much this is super helpful!

You will probably still need heat for brand new day old chicks.
Might need less heat depending on the weather.
Show us your coop inside and out to help us help you.

Here's how I built my:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/

Those fiddly legs are what makes it adjustable so chicks can pick their sweet spot and not be trapped with the 'wrong' heat level.

And have used it out in coop during pretty chilly weather when I am:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
Thanks! I really appreciate your help.

Just to pile on with articles, here's mine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Unlike most "outdoor" brooders (which are set up inside the coop or a structure like a barn) mine is truly outdoors and placed in the run. I also use a heat pad and aim for early integration. Yes, you will still need to provide heat to very young chicks, but you can wean them off heat by 4 weeks at the latest, assuming your temperatures remain somewhat consistent.

if you have any specific questions or concerns I'm all ears, as I'm looking to update the article with my next batch of chicks and thinking of ways to improve the set up.

Just to pile on with articles, here's mine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Unlike most "outdoor" brooders (which are set up inside the coop or a structure like a barn) mine is truly outdoors and placed in the run. I also use a heat pad and aim for early integration. Yes, you will still need to provide heat to very young chicks, but you can wean them off heat by 4 weeks at the latest, assuming your temperatures remain somewhat consistent.

if you have any specific questions or concerns I'm all ears, as I'm looking to update the article with my next batch of chicks and thinking of ways to improve the set up.
Thanks! I'm glad to know that others have tried outdoor brooding.

Back
Top Bottom