Brooding??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickieGirl1979, Aug 8, 2016.

1. ChickieGirl1979

ChickieGirl1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    One of our hens started laying eggs. We get about 1 a day. She doesn't brood on them. Any suggestions as to why not?? We are not looking for chicks but are curious.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Several factors can impact what you are seeing. Young layers tend to produce more eggs before a clutch is filled and setting commences. Some breeds are much less broody than others. What breed is she?

My American Dominiques often do not go broody in the first year but in later years they go broody easily, especially later in the summer so season can effect things as well.

3. ChickieGirl1979

ChickieGirl1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    One is a Silkie and the other a Black Laced Golden Wyndotte bantam. They have been laying for about 2 weeks now.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You may be dealing with a clutch size issue with the silkie. Give her a little more time. Silkies will sometimes go broody on a smaller number of eggs but younger well fed females may go longer. The bantam is outside my experience.

5. chickenpets786

chickenpets786 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    I have an austa white hen and I don't know if she is broody.she lays and sits on the egg for around two hours but leaves it and returns some times a few hours later.she will leave the egg if I enter.we had a rooster about a week ago who I think managed to ferterlise the eggs but not totally sure.is she broody I took the egg away when she left but she started again the next day.is she broody and how do I know if egg Is fertile.
    Ps I hope this was the right place to post this[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by