Broody abandoned eggs.. Day 21 humidity at 80% won’t go down!!!

Asteen89

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2021
Iowa
I had a second lavender Orpington go broody the last week of March after my other Orpington was raising chicks. I quick bought eBay eggs (Red blue laced Wyandottes) to put under her. They didn’t ship for a few days and I didn’t receive them till April 4th. My bad mistake for first time shipped eggs I didn’t let them sit for 24 hours first since I wasn’t aware it made a difference. Since I was a kid I’ve always hatched out barnyard mixes with broodies.

I set them under her about 5pm April 4th. Fast forward, she refused to leave her nest in the top nesting box and was fighting to stay in her box with other hens coming in and out. Out of 8 eggs 2 were infertile and the rest developing fine. Lost 2 at 10 days due to blood rings. So I had 4 eggs left looking perfect. One had a crack which I then put wax on. 3 days later she broke it. Perfectly formed little chick inside. I don’t know if that’s what did it, but 2 days later she completely stopped being broody. I quick took the remaining 3 eggs inside at 16 days and put them under a make shift brooder in my oven with a 60 watt bulb, humidifier and wet paper towels. I couldn’t for the life of me keep the temp steady. I was constantly babysitting and moving eggs around. I saw all three moving as of the 18. Then the 19th only 2 moving yesterday morning. As of this morning only 1 was moving. I felt pretty sure the 2 that weren’t moving were gone as I’ve been through this many times (not with an incubator). I decided to eggtopsy them and get them out asap. The chicks were only looking like 17-18 days old with large yolk sacks. They should be on day 20 as of today and then 21 days at 6pm tonight. They were both deceased.

So I quick ran to tractor supply and picked up a little giant incubator. The temp is steady and my 2 extra thermometers are pretty accurate for me (I’ve been using them for a couple months to monitor inside house and coop). I cannot for the life of me get the humidity down! It’s been at 80%. The incubator has stayed at 75% but mine both read 80%. What can I do? This chick is still alive and moving as of 3pm today. I really want to do whatever I can to possibly save her. Help!
CD3F0591-E20F-4F34-BD5C-D4CE278E8B79.jpeg
8570F4D7-FA0A-4E61-8A2A-EA6375961389.jpeg

I also should add, day 21 now and no internal or external pips. I believe the eggs are running a day behind in development due to her leaving them to get cold.

I had a second lavender Orpington go broody the last week of March after my other Orpington was raising chicks. I quick bought eBay eggs (Red blue laced Wyandottes) to put under her. They didn’t ship for a few days and I didn’t receive them till April 4th. My bad mistake for first time shipped eggs I didn’t let them sit for 24 hours first since I wasn’t aware it made a difference. Since I was a kid I’ve always hatched out barnyard mixes with broodies.

I set them under her about 5pm April 4th. Fast forward, she refused to leave her nest in the top nesting box and was fighting to stay in her box with other hens coming in and out. Out of 8 eggs 2 were infertile and the rest developing fine. Lost 2 at 10 days due to blood rings. So I had 4 eggs left looking perfect. One had a crack which I then put wax on. 3 days later she broke it. Perfectly formed little chick inside. I don’t know if that’s what did it, but 2 days later she completely stopped being broody. I quick took the remaining 3 eggs inside at 16 days and put them under a make shift brooder in my oven with a 60 watt bulb, humidifier and wet paper towels. I couldn’t for the life of me keep the temp steady. I was constantly babysitting and moving eggs around. I saw all three moving as of the 18. Then the 19th only 2 moving yesterday morning. As of this morning only 1 was moving. I felt pretty sure the 2 that weren’t moving were gone as I’ve been through this many times (not with an incubator). I decided to eggtopsy them and get them out asap. The chicks were only looking like 17-18 days old with large yolk sacks. They should be on day 20 as of today and then 21 days at 6pm tonight. They were both deceased.

So I quick ran to tractor supply and picked up a little giant incubator. The temp is steady and my 2 extra thermometers are pretty accurate for me (I’ve been using them for a couple months to monitor inside house and coop). I cannot for the life of me get the humidity down! It’s been at 80%. The incubator has stayed at 75% but mine both read 80%. What can I do? This chick is still alive and moving as of 3pm today. I really want to do whatever I can to possibly save her. Help!View attachment 3079445View attachment 3079446
The more trays on the bottom you fill with water the higher your humidity.
Ignore the machines hygrometer, they are always wrong.

For anyone seeing this post in future who is experiencing too high humidity, I saw a great tip on YouTube where a lady filled a bottle cap (from a small water bottle) with water and put it in the incubator. The small surface area of the water in the cap means water evaporates slower thus lowers the humidity. The same small amount of water in the incubator's reservoir will have a large surface area and evaporate quickly and raise the humidity. Thus try using a small cap or cup to hold the water.

Back
Top Bottom