Broody adopting new chick- help!

Irishkillian

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
Hey Everyone! I have read a lot about introducing a broody hen to an adopted chick, but there seems to be some conflicting info. I´m hoping you guys can help me! I have a coop that is elevated 3 feet with a ramp that goes into the enclosed run. I only 3 hens right now. We were hoping to give our broody Braham girl a baby easter egger in the night. I have a few questions:
1. Can I leave my broody girl in the nesting box that is not elevated, but inside the elevated coop?
2. If so, should I add baby chick food and water into the coop (usually I only keep food in the run in a treadle)?
Or Should I move my broody to a smaller cage inside the run and let the baby chick and her stay there?
Thank you for any info!
Shannon

I would probably put the chick underneath her in the same nest she has been using. (No need for food and water during the night.)

Then the next morning I would move the broody and chick into the small cage, with food and water, and keep them there for at least 2 days and nights.

After that, I would open the door of the small cage and watch what happens.

My reasons for this advice:

The broody needs to accept the chick, but the chick also needs to accept the broody as "mom." Penning them together for a few days means the chick cannot wander off into a corner and get cold while it is learning, and it cannot try to go underneath the wrong hen.

After the chick knows who "mom" is, it should stay with her pretty well, and she should be able to protect it from the other hens.

But the other hens may have trouble, depending on the size of the coop. I have seen broody hens that try to protect a space 10 feet across or more, and chase all other chickens out of that space. In a small coop, that leaves no space at all for the other hens!

I have read a lot about introducing a broody hen to an adopted chick, but there seems to be some conflicting info.

Plenty of people do things in different ways, and many different ways can work well.

I have no advice to give in re: the adoption process, but I strongly suggest adding at least 2 chicks, maybe 3.

Otherwise once the hen weans the chick it will be all alone with no peers to hang out with.

Even if you can't keep more than one replacement hen you can get 2-3, raise them to Point-of-Lay (when they'd be accepted into the adult flock), keep the one you like best and sell the others. :)

We were hoping to give our broody Braham girl a baby easter egger in the night. I have a few questions:
1. Can I leave my broody girl in the nesting box that is not elevated, but inside the elevated coop?
2. If so, should I add baby chick food and water into the coop (usually I only keep food in the run in a treadle)?
Or Should I move my broody to a smaller cage inside the run and let the baby chick and her stay there?
Night time is best.. I do it shortly after dark so she can feel and hear the chick for a good period of time before dawn. This is definitely part of the bonding process.

1. Yes, I always do. But flock dynamics vary.

2. I do add food and water where they can get to it for the first couple days until mum is ready to take them out.. noting the other hens will go out of their way to eat at the special feeding location. Flock raiser, or chick starter is FINE to feed everyone AS long as oyster shell or other free choice calcium source is available on the side for actively laying hens. The chicks should not eat layer feed as it's too low in protein and too high in calcium and both can cause a whole host of health conditions. Are you in the US?

Elevated coops are MY broody nightmare.. Once she's taking them out.. some chicks have a hard time grasping how to get on the ramp to follow her in at night. Depending on the hen.. sometimes chicks get left out.. So I always make sure to be home to assist at roost time during that first week or two, however long it takes the chicks to be able to fully follow mum. I also ended up adding temporary side steps or elevated things (like a wood block, cardboard box, or cinder block type stuff, even lawn chair cushions) to help the chicks figure out the ramp.

A smaller cage is always an option.. just don't drag it out until the chicks are near weaning as it makes integration more challenging.

I strongly suggest adding at least 2 chicks, maybe 3.
I couldn't agree more!

Single chicks simply don't thrive as well as a few will. They learn from each other and help balance out the flighty scaredyness verses confident curiosity. EE are such a fantastic grab bag too!

Losses happen, so I usually get and suggest at least 3.

Even if you can't keep more than one replacement hen you can get 2-3, raise them to Point-of-Lay (when they'd be accepted into the adult flock), keep the one you like best and sell the others. :)
This works well in my location. :thumbsup

I've adopted many a broody chick successfully.

Hope your broody adoption is a wonderful adventure! :fl

Back
Top Bottom