Broody again?

Qi Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Our Buff orps are 6 months old now. About 4 weeks ago? they both went broody. Sat for about a week until I put them in cages for 3 days. Now they are at it again! Already! I know BO are a broody breed but I guess I didn't/don't know the particulars.

How often will a chicken typically go broody? Do they do it more often in a certain season? Does once a month seem like a lot? Thanks!

I have a chronic broody- 3+year old GLW. If her track record is anything to go by then they can remain broody for months and months regardless of how often you try to break them. She laid her first egg and then went broody. She stopped it in the dead of winter, but continued that early spring. I broke her about 10 times, but what finally broke her was a full blown molt in the fall. She stopped being broody until early summer this year and then went broody again until her next molt which is now. I swear I might have gotten 50 eggs from this bird in her entire life because she spends all her time either broody or molting.

I hope yours aren't as single-minded as mine is.

oh no cmv, I hope mine don't decide to freeload like yours, my 1st 1 I gave eggs to stopped sitting when she went to molt, luckily the 2nd 1 was already broody and finished hatching the eggs and caring for chicks, but these 2 with broody behavior are gonna be goners if they go broody too often considering they're bantam to begin with they need to produce their share of the eggs, I don't care how much I love em I can only have a small number of chickens to begin with and a chicken not laying is no good.

My buffs are 8 months old, I just tired of 'breaking" them being broody every 2-3 weeks, I gave up and put eggs under them.
hmm.png
I don't like the thoughts of winter chicks, but DH talked me into by reminding me how good those young roosters are in the oven and we're out of chicken in the freezer. Granted, it will be several months, but we can wait..
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom