Broody Attacked !!!

woolychicken

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
mesick michigan
I HAVE 7 BANTUMS AND AND ONE OF MY HENS WENT BROODY, SHE HATCHED OUT 4 CHICKS IN EARLY FEB. THEY ARE NOW GETTING THEIR FEATHERS AND ARE DOING GREAT,
THE PROBLEM IS WHEN CAN I PUT THEM BACK INTO THE FLOCK. YESTERDAY MY BROODY HEN GOT OUT OF THE PEN AND ONE OF THE OTHER HENS ATACKED HER SO DID THE ROO. I WAS SO SHOCKED
ep.gif
I QUICKLY GOT HER BACK IN WITH HER CHICKS
WAHTS UP WITH THAT
idunno.gif
I WAS ABOUT READY TO MAKE ME A POT OF CHICKEN SOUP WITH THE GRUMPY ONES DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT TO DO
sad.png

If she was seperated from the flock for awhile they may have to do their "pecking order" thing all over again. Especially if she is still broody and protecting chicks. Usually doesn't last long. Keep an eye on them and introduce the young ones when they are big enough.

When I introduce one of my broodies and chicks (usually around 4-5 weeks after hatch) I use a wire dog cage. I put the cage in the coop. This way the flock gets to know the broody all over again and get to know the new chicks. When I do turn them loose I have few problems.
When a broody hen is still in the mothering mood still generally will not tolerate other chickens close to her chicks and man can the feathes fly.

If she was seperated from the flock for awhile they may have to do their "pecking order" thing all over again. Especially if she is still broody and protecting chicks. Usually doesn't last long. Keep an eye on them and introduce the young ones when they are big enough.
Somtimes I take one of my chickens out of its normal coop to quarintine it, and when I put it back int the pen a few days later, its gets attacked until the flock works out the pecking order again.

Back
Top Bottom