Broody Australorp?

She does look broody. Keep her pen either in a predator proof run, or in the coop. Try to put it somewhere with airflow. Some people put them in their garages.
In the garage she goes. It’s air conditioned...maybe the cool air will help. if I had a vent in the floor, I’d just pop the cage over it!

The noises she’s making right now aren’t. Haha. i wish we could explain things to animals to ease the distress!
They don’t care!🤣 They only want one thing-
BCA6EDF7-2292-4AE1-BC43-79242438C575.jpeg

BABIES!!🤣🤣 This is my hen that went broody early like yours!😉

They don’t care!🤣 They only want one thing-View attachment 2824774
BABIES!!🤣🤣 This is my hen that went broody early like yours!😉
Yeah, she kept attacking me whenever I got too close. She has calmed down now though. How old were the chicks when your brokdy abandoned them?

Attachments

• AA359BA0-EA6F-4ECF-A396-92E1D07CD0E7.jpeg
    AA359BA0-EA6F-4ECF-A396-92E1D07CD0E7.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 2
  • E0D1F00B-4748-4482-BEFE-806D0B0E25A5.jpeg
    E0D1F00B-4748-4482-BEFE-806D0B0E25A5.jpeg
    649.3 KB · Views: 2
Here is her baby chick (Tuna) crowing after his mommy got taken out of the cage.
Sorry for the bad quality video.😬

Garage should be fine for a couple of days. I prefer not separating them from the flock so there's no issue adding them back in, however in some cases (for security reasons, or hot weather causing hen not to break) it's fine having them indoors somewhere for a few days.

The cage you're using sounds ideal, since you want it big enough for her to move around a bit.

She still hasn’t laid an egg since being broody. No squatting any more either. I think she’s broken….not really, but Australorps are supposed to be solid layers. Maybe she’s on the two months on, one month off plan.

She still hasn’t laid an egg since being broody. No squatting any more either. I think she’s broken….not really, but Australorps are supposed to be solid layers. Maybe she’s on the two months on, one month off plan.

When a hen is laying, they have a bunch of egg yolks developing, so one will be ready each day.

When a hen goes broody, she starts to absorb those yolks, as a source of food because she's not getting off the nest to eat as much.

After she quits being broody, she needs to get egg yolks developed again before she can lay again. Usually, the sooner you break her, the sooner she'll go back to laying. I assume it's a matter of how many yolks she's absorbed how much from.

Back
Top Bottom