Broody bantam cochins, WOW! *babies are a month old now* update

The babies are a month old now. One splash cochin died, so I've got 2 splash and 2 blue cochins. They're all MALES! Dang, I was so looking forward to splash cochin pullets. Now I've got to find 4 cute little cockerels homes.

The mutt babies are developing really cute. One looks like it's a BAxSSH baby. It's solid black and beardless, with black legs and a rose comb. It came out of a brown egg, so I'm guessing mama was my one and only BA.

One baby looks like it must be a GLWxsilver-laced polish. It's mostly black, but is developing gold lacing in its wings, and has a tiny crest started, a beard, and polish nostrils. It also came from a brown egg.

The two green egg babies are turning out really pretty. One is brownish and smaller, with a rose comb and no crest started. It's got an EE beard. I'm sure its daddy was the SSH. The other one is black and white, with mostly white on its chest and neck and some black markings on a few of those feathers. It's got a beard, a tiny crest started and polish nostrils.

These mutt babies are fun, and none are showing any signs of comb growth at all. I've got my fingers crossed that all four are pullets. The only problem is, growing up with broody mamas instead of a brooder in my house, it's hard enough to get close to them, and it's nigh impossible to catch them. I can't get good pictures to save my life. I'll have to go in tonight while they're all sleeping and nab babies for a photo shoot.

I got some pictures, though they're not really great. I had to zoom as far as my camera would zoom to get them this close up.

This one is the black and white EExpolish baby:
P7010056.jpg

P7010060.jpg

And here's the GLWxpolish baby:
P7010067.jpg

And here are the two together:
P7010065.jpg

Here's most of the group of babies:
P7010057.jpg

Back
Top Bottom