Broody behaviour, and something that looks like hard boiled egg yolk??

newchickenfam

Chirping
Feb 26, 2015
Hello! I have a hen that is just over three years old, and has not laid in about 6 months. She was sitting in the nesting box on eggs all day yesterday, and today there is something that looks like like the yolk of a hard boiled egg...this chicken has had a bit of a dirty bum since the warmer weather and free ranging have commenced a few weeks ago. Nothing urgent, I'm just perplexed! Any insight would be appreciated!

Can you get a picture of it? Did you open it up to have a look inside? It kind of sounds like a lash egg which is an indicator of an infection called egg peritonitis - but it's hard to tell without seeing it.

Can you get a picture of it? Did you open it up to have a look inside? It kind of sounds like a lash egg which is an indicator of an infection called egg peritonitis - but it's hard to tell without seeing it.

Thank you for the reply! I did not take a picture, but can and will post it. It looked like solid chicken feces, but the yolky colour. The hen is acting completely normal, eating, outside free ranging. I will definitely look in to this more and keep a super close eye on her.

Thank you for the reply! I did not take a picture, but can and will post it. It looked like solid chicken feces, but the yolky colour. The hen is acting completely normal, eating, outside free ranging. I will definitely look in to this more and keep a super close eye on her.

I should also mention that I did not open it up, but I did poke it, and it was not firm at all, quite squishy, and came apart when I poked it.

I should also mention that I did not open it up, but I did poke it, and it was not firm at all, quite squishy, and came apart when I poked it.
If you do a quick Google search, you'll see all the permutations in which a lash egg can present itself. It's good that your hen seems to be functioning fine, but do watch her for any type of "sleepy" standing around, or prolonged, unproductive periods in the best box. Best of luck to you and your flock! :)

Back
Top Bottom