Broody Buff

buffyfluffy17

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
My hen , Fluffy, stays up in the box all day trying to hatch an egg. I move her into the pen so she will eat, but she just keeps returning to the box to set.
What should I do?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Try blocking off the nest box. Even putting some things in the nest box will help (plastic cups, etc), as she won't want to sit on them. In a few days without a nest box, she should stop being so broody.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, sounds like she is broody. There are ways to break them of this, however not all hens respond. Broodiness is hormonal and a really determined broody has a hard time stopping herself.

You can try cooling down the broody patch. (a broodies temp raises when she incubates eggs). Many people put the bird in an elevated wire cage so she gets a lot of cool air on her. Keep her in this cage for several days.

I have tried the broody dunk in cool water for a few minutes. It works for about one day. If they aren't really too determined, this can break them.

Also keeping them in a pen out of sight of the coop completely for a few days can break them as well.

Here is a good thread on ways to break a broody hen you might want to take a look at...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen

If all else fails, just let her do her thing. Don't let her set on any eggs and she will run her course in a couple to few weeks.

Good luck with your hen!

Welcome to BYC - TwoCrows has provided some good ideas. You could also give her some fertile eggs and increase your flock.
tongue.png

I agree with Sourland - get some fertile eggs and put them under her, if she is a good broodie she will hatch and raise the chicks as her own. It's a great opportunity to get different breeds into your flock.

Thanks for all the tips!! I tried the easiest one for me. I have the inside pen divided in half with a door that I use to put the half-grown bities in to get used to the company of the other hens without getting pecked on. I also use this space for a hen that is getting pecked on a lot. This lets them eat and drink. Now there is a new use for this area. BROODY HENS QUARRENTINE . I left my hen in there for 2 days and on the third day, she was better!! I will find out tomorrow how the Broody Buff is doing.

Thanks,
BuffyFluufy17

Back
Top Bottom