Broody Bunch has abandoned eggs-what to do?

T'sbird

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2018
So my Broody Bunch has now abandoned the nest. They were on 15 eggs, nine successfully hatched, over the span of seven days-last one hatched yesterday, first one last Monday. Five of the remaining eggs have the air bubble, but are now cold to the touch. Is there anything we can do, or do we just have to say good-bye? I have a very sad human mama hen right now. 😢

Edited to add I do not have an incubator.

You can put together a makeshift incubator with a box, light, and dish of water. There's instructions around that you can find-- hatching chicks need lots of humidity, but are a bit more flexible on temperature in the last few days than the rest of incubation and you may have eggs that only need another day or two. They can be remarkably resilient when it comes to temperature drops, so there is a chance still.
Nine is pretty good tho! It's very common to have some eggs not make it, and even more so with staggered hatches like this.

Yeah if they’re still alive in there you can keep them warm lots of ways. Heating pad, light bulb, or jars of heated water in a cooler. Come to mind. If you don’t have a thermometer shoot for just slightly warm to the touch. I’ve read the old way to check temp was to hold the egg to your eyelid.

I have 3 quail that successfully hatched with jars hot water after I had to take them from a too large broody hen.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much! I don't know why I didn't even think of this before panicking, but we put the broodiest hen in a crate with the eggs and one chick. She settled in quite quickly and happily after we added the chick.
We had success! One hatched! We have one more pipping, though the hole has not grown in about nine hours. I guess we'll wait and hope for the best. Another of the eggs has a crack pretty much around the entire shell, but no pip hole.
DSCF1997.jpg
DSCF1997.jpg

Back
Top Bottom