Broody Business!

clucktastic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Pullman, Mi
Okay guys, Here's the question for all of you well educated chicken folk. I have a BR that seems to have gone broody, as she's been on the nest all day, and stayed right there at least until 1230 tonight, as I'm writing this. She kinda gripes at you for checking her out, and so I just left her. Everyone else is sleeping, and she's still just a-sittin. I know about having to separate her, and the food and water deal, but my question is about the eggs themselves. If I want to keep some eggs to incubate later, do I keep them at room temperature, or put them in the fridge (which sounds like a bad idea to me, but who knows?) or do a special riverdance or something? How long can I keep them, and what would you say the window of time is for getting them under her? I don't want to wait too long and have her give up on the clutch prematurely. Also, I'm in the south western area of Michigan, and it's cold as you can imagine... are there any special cold weather things to note when letting a broody do her thing in the middle of the winter?

Also, any other random advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Anthony

Back
Top Bottom