Broody/chick issue

Hi

Did I read correct in your BYH post that you had the broody and chicks under a lamp? I'm wondering if she got dehydrated and that has triggered the lack of appetite and downward spiral. Broody hens with chicks do not need a heat lamp.
It can also stress the broody to be in the light all the time, as well as dehydrate her.
If this is the case, getting her rehydrated and back to a normal day/night routine should help.

Permethrin spray would be fine. For your littles, you can apply the liquid by dabbing them with a q-tip or cotton ball if you are worried about the mist.

Try to keep your hen hydrated and see if she will eat some wet chick starter. It's not unusual for a broody hen's belly to be bald, she will pluck her feathers so she has contact with eggs when sitting on them.

fwiw - DE and/or Ash work well in dust bathing areas or rubbed into the nesting boxes as a preventative but if there is an infestation, then stepping up treatment with a poultry dust/spray is your best bet. Since she is sick, getting rid of them asap should be your goal.

I'm sorry you are having trouble. Do the best you can.

Did I read correct in your BYH post that you had the broody and chicks under a lamp?

Please excuse me, I just woke up, on limited sleep and in major neck pain. Taking kratom for it while I type.

Where to begin. This girl went broody while there was still tons of snow on the ground and it continued to be in the teens 20's and low 30's until just last week If I remember correctly.

When my wonderful vet came out almost a couple weeks ago now to look her over, give her worm medicine and show me how to force feed her, She was adamant then that she was not dehydrated at all. I could not force feed her alone so it never got tried after trying by myself the first time. Point she is not and was not dehydrated. The light was in such a place that she would have to come over to it to even consider getting to hot. And she use to shiver so when not under it.

Yes temps are still high 30's low 40's at night and still does not need to be anywhere close to the light. Fact she escaped and is now laying under the light next to the chicks on the other side of the wire they are still behind.

Hope I covered the first post. Please give me time to get to the one or 2 others I seen. I need to find out what the difference is between permethrin & permethrin 2

PS I always use a light in the winter and 2 when it is below zero

PSS the light is about 3 ft off the ground maybe more, I will measure it. It is in the area where kid pen and mom pen meet. She hide in the back way away from the light because she gets picked on. She and the chicks can still see each other. their food and her food in the pens are a ways out of the light They do not have to be in the light The little door is open at about daybreak and both are in direct line of the door. The wire by the little door to chicks is blocked with cardboard over the wire so they do not get a direct breeze.

I will try to get pic of that set up too. I need the bigger coop yesterday. I couldn't do much for about 8 weeks because I broke my wrist slipping on the ice taking a mouse outside at 1 in the morning, have only had that off about 2 weeks myself. (stupid cats stupid mouse enter live trap stupid skunk) Bad thing is it was probably the one I nursed back to health and it won't spray me

Last edited:
I can't seem to find the difference between liquids of permethrin and permethrin 2. Maybe someone can find that for me. I need to check on everyone. And figure this all out. They are all gonna want out to run amok. I really want the kratom to take affect before doing anything.. Like digging more worms and herding chicks close to mom. The silly chicks have figured out what the digging is all about and come running to where I am. I make sure they have a ant nest before I wander off but don't matter they found out and now I have to fight for the worms for mom...

How do I get this spray below the feathers or does it matter?

Been meaning to say thank you for the help and God bless you and yours.

Last edited:
I don't know if I can use this. They brought me permectrin 2 instead of permethrin. I don't know what to do now. I can due the roosts, nest and such but I don't know about this and chicks specifically and Big Momma. Thought or opinions. And possible instructions?

Read your label on the container it should give you the instructions for mixing to treat chickens.

"Permectrin2" is the name brand if I am not mistaken - look at the main ingredient, it should be a permethrin based product.

I will look and see. Get a glimmer of hope then it falls flat. She is crashing again. Drinking but refusing to eat. Still determined to try to tend chicks. I see I didn't post this. It is the same. How many time ie how often do I hit her. Basically all over? and the chicks, Can I just spritz them all too? Under wings, vent, back?

Instructions for idiots required

Please just to confirm measurements while I wait instruction for spraying. It's liquid. It says 2 oz per 3 gallons. 1 oz is 2 tablespoons. So 2 oz would be 4 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons. 1/3 of 2 oz would be 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon?

Yes, I have no confidence in myself, I do not disagree. Hope I did that all right. Label only mentions vent. no place else.
------------------------------------
read it is suppose to be good for 30 days.

Last edited:
Please,,, I have Big Momma sprayed a bit in 4 main places. Not sure if it is anywheres near enough. Tired of waiting for someone to show up to help me treat them. There is no real help here. First of many questions. How do I do this by myself? Easiest/quickest? And what is to much? If I don't cover any of them all over will it even help?

The very small spray bottle I have is a fine mist. Think it is a 2 or 3 ounce glass bottle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom