Broody/chick issue

A loss of hen is far more tragic to than a loss of a rooster.

:) I don't know about that. My Mister is my buddy. He was abandoned at 3 weeks with his brother last year If I remember correctly. Maybe he is 2 now, would have to look at records.

Anyway, I spent many hours with them, holding them. Getting them to bed at night before everyone started going in and just spent a lot of time with him on my lap. He gives me hugs to this day. He's almost to big for my lap but he still likes to do that also.

He is so good with his girls. Learned how good of a protector he was when I went out recently to see a black lab with feathers in his mouth and Mister laying in a ton of feathers. I feared he was dead or dying.

I am so glad he is still with us. It appears he told all the girls to go to the coop while he kept the dog busy. When I did a head count, They were all present and accounted for.

I was so afraid I would find him dead the next morning. He had a messed up leg for a few days and a tear on his back but it seems to have healed well. He is finally getting his feathers back I will be glad to see his rooster tail again.

I guess point being after all that is He is just as important to me as my girls.

Thank you - God Bless

PS They didn't get to free range for a few days.

Last edited:
I also don't want them setting in the winter either.

Will keep that in mind... There is a broody pen but I can't have them out there in the winter months. Think I will try to wire cage method for breaking them. I know of no other way that has worked. But I also know a determined hen will not stop even in a wire cage off the ground.

It was fun watching Mister mature. I didn't think he was ever gonna come out of his adolescents. Until one day. I hear some commotion. When I walked to the door. I seen a bald eagle trying to take a hen beside my porch. Needless to say he was never a kid again. Best rooster I have every had. I think the girls pick on him to much tho. I often see what appears to be pouting.

Chicks are 3 weeks old yesterday. Only wing feathers at this point. It will be 50 degrees tonight. What is a safe night time temp to start turning off that light? The older kids are hot and I don't feel safe leaving the big door open. Little door will be wired and window open all the way to help but still gonna be to hot for the older kids.

Thank you ahead of time.

Last edited:
Ideally there should only be one warm spot and let the rest be cool. Having enough space is essential for this. If you go by heat guidelines you start out at 90F the first week then drop 5F each week, so theoretically 80F would be the temp to aim for. I've found with mine, they really need less heat than that. This is where have the one spot comes into play - they can warm up, then move away.

The area with the light and nest is roughly 2 ft by 2 ft including nest box. Maybe a little less. The back section which is under the roost is roughtly3x3. Between the section with the light and wall with both doors is another 2x3.

Furthest point from the little door is that back 3x3. Plenty of room to get away from light and coolness coming off the little door. I will try to get a pic of the new setup since momma is gone.

I rotated the L shape with wire to meet with the wired barrier under the roost to block them in from main coop and give them a much larger areas You can sorta see the wind block on the wire bottom left of the image. I did the same for the longest side of the L for additional protection from any wind that might come in the little door tonight. Since I am leaving it open for better circulation for the poor girls that are hot with that light.

It will be way different when I get the new coup. It will be or should be here tomorrow. But we still have to insulate the floor wall and ceiling the put in the internal wall, floor and ceiling.

I will check them about 11/12 tonight to make sure they aren't getting to cold before I go to bed. That 4x4 piece of post you may see in the back. That is holding up the back side of a piece of plywood angled to prevent anyone under there getting poo'd on. The over all coop is 8x8. I can't wait for the bigger 10x12 coop to be finished.
chick pen.png

Last edited:
I know I am a master at stupid questions and rambling on. But I have been giving a lot of thought on this new coop from things I have learned over my decade of raising chickens.

Mites and other pest like to hide in the wood, cracks and such. I don't want to use paint because it will start chipping at some point. Also thought about polyurethane but that would likely have the same issue. at some point.

Since we have to finish the inside before they move in. I am trying to think of things I can do to deter pests from moving in any time soon. And even intentionally chase them away.

Also it has only happened one time but want to prevent this to. By the water. The wall started to mildew. I did kill it off with bleach and hasn't come back. But why even have it once.

I'd like thoughts on those 2 things and any other ideas for a perfect new coop for kids.

And while here. I don't think I will be able to afford the 700 to draw power over there any time soon and I worry about that since they are use to warmth in the winter.
(I will be putting plugs and wire to the outside so we don't have to tear it apart to do it later) But I am a little concerned about this this winter. Thoughts? It will also mean less eggs. Not sure the folks that buy the eggs will be happy about that.

Crazy question. Is there any plants I can put inside that would help deter pests. Of course up where chickens can't get them..

Another stupid question. I have millions of them. I want to stair the roost this time. What incline and distance between poles is the best?

I was told by having some higher. It will help the younger kids to be able to get on roost sooner. Higher pecking order gets higher roosts.

Back
Top Bottom