Broody Chicken

NewChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Going on my third day. I kicked one of my Buff's out of the nest the last two nights. Looks like she is doing it again. How do you break this habit?

Haven't had too many broodies, but this is what has worked for me. I try taking her out every time I see her in the nesting box. Even if it's 5x a day. If she is SUPER stuburn like my "LOUISE"....then I let her sit undesturbed for 4-5 days. Then I start over taking her out every time I see her in there. That usually only last one or two more days. Other than that....just let her wait it out.
hmm.png

Some people have tried putting them on wire. I've never tried it myself. Good luck.

Cool air under their fannies helps break the mood . . . .

That is why people use the wire cage.

I broke mine my placing her back on the roosting perch every night for a few nights in a row - - - same concept - - - fresh air under her rump !

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289

Buff
Orpingtons tend to be a broody breed. This hen may want to go broody again some time in the future, or this may be her only attempt. If she proves to be a serial broody, you may want to either get her some eggs or see if someone in your area wants something incubated. Chickens can incubate eggs from other types of poultry too.

I kicked her off the nest again. She's not to happy with me. I just took 4 eggs out from under her. Hopefully it was the same hen I have two Buffs. Will see if she is still there tonight.

I have a four year old who shoves the ladies off the nest at every opportunity. Maybe you could give her the big heave ho a couple of times a day....
wink.png

I have a problem and need HELP!
I have RIR's, 8 hens and 2 roos. One hen went broodie and I got 4 babies (2 hens and 2 roos). During the process I built a screened in enclosure within the hen house to protect the hatch from the others. I was afraid tha the roos would kill the babies. So...when the babies were about two months old the mama and babies got out of the enclosure and were romping around in the hen house while the others were out in the lot. After this I thought I was in the clear and would let them out for a couple of hours each day, but would keep a check on them. Then the third day I went back after about an hour to find one of my baby roos in the lot and they had picked his brains out (I freaked to say the least).
Now they are about 4 months old. I have been letting the mama out to mingle with the others but there is one hen who attacks her all the time (she does manage to take care of herself to a point), so I'm afraid to let the babies out for fear they will be attacked by the flock. I have built an enclosure within the chicken lot to house the babies and mama but with winter coming they can't stay in the outside enclosure night and day.
So, that's my story, can anyone offer any solution? I don't know what to do. Will I have to give up my babies?
I would appreciate your assistance, I am in case you couldn't tell, a fairly new chicken mom. My flock is less than two years old right now, so this is all pretty new to me.
Just a general idea of my flocks upbringing, I have handles them since they were little to get them use to me but I have one mean roo that will attack if your back is turned, the other roo will help to protect me from the bad guy...:) I am also able to 'herd' them back into the lot if I can't wait for them to go back into the lot on their own. They get many treats, I cook for them O: and they are spoiled. Yes, I love my chickens, is that wrong?

thank you so much for reading my story and helping out a fellow chicken owner. ♥

Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement as this is the first baby my broody hatched today

I like your new baby chic Happy Chooks.

MSBG get rid of your mean roo. And put your attacking hen by her self for a few days. When you put her back in the flock she will be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom