Broody didn’t take chicks at 5:30 - pecked at them should I try at night?

I do not think she will take them yet, although you will likely be able to get her to brood them overnight so long as you remove them early in the morning before they come out where she can see them. That sustained exposure will promote the imprinting process even though it will not go to completion like it can in just a few days.

I would go straight into plan B. I need to describe what amounts to a cook book procedure for doing introductions.

If I try tonight would I know right away again if she wasn’t going to take them in or not? I don’t really have a way for them to be near so I will try tonight and if not I’ll have to move to plan b

My broody that adopted 6 chicks (7 really but one drowned 😢) was broody for a week or so but definitely not more than 2 weeks. But the chicks she adopted were all given to her within hours of hatching (they were still wet) not sure if that had anything to do with the success.

But yes, you’ll know. She’ll sit on them and not peck at them. When you try do stay nearby for a few and then once you’re comfortable let em be for the night

Okay I will put them under her soon and we shall see. In the mean time I set up an escape area for them in case she is mean and they go to the ground. This way they can cuddle together away from the big chickens if they need to. It’s on the ground and my broody is up in her nesting box you can see from the picture.

Attachments

• 7C41F6B6-EC55-4AE2-92B3-6304F504D540.jpeg
    7C41F6B6-EC55-4AE2-92B3-6304F504D540.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 4
Okay I will put them under her soon and we shall see. In the mean time I set up an escape area for them in case she is mean and they go to the ground. This way they can cuddle together away from the big chickens if they need to. It’s on the ground and my broody is up in her nesting box you can see from the picture.
That is unless she doesn’t take them and pecks them in which case I’m putting them back in a brooder I have ready just in case

My broody that adopted 6 chicks (7 really but one drowned 😢) was broody for a week or so but definitely not more than 2 weeks. But the chicks she adopted were all given to her within hours of hatching (they were still wet) not sure if that had anything to do with the success.

But yes, you’ll know. She’ll sit on them and not peck at them. When you try do stay nearby for a few and then once you’re comfortable let em be for the night
The majority of time, the outcome in situation you described results in failure. I have done this enough to know it is prudent to use an approach that gives consistent results with minimal risk of chicks being harmed or killed.

The majority of time, the outcome in situation you described results in failure. I have done this enough to know it is prudent to use an approach that gives consistent results with minimal risk of chicks being harmed or killed.

Yes, that’s what I’ve read. My situation with this particular hen was not common. I know with my other random broody she is a meanie and I wouldn’t try that with her because she’s not nice at all.

Well my broody was nasty and pecked the one right away before I could even get the other in so looks like I’ll be the broody now. I got these chicks for her but next time I’m just going to break her broody was, not nice!

Well my broody was nasty and pecked the one right away before I could even get the other in so looks like I’ll be the broody now. I got these chicks for her but next time I’m just going to break her broody was, not nice!
You can reform most grump butted broodies with a little effort. If you can calm her down, it help with calming chicks later. Grumpy hens can be a problem for chicks to as chicks can be harmed when hen attacks you, especially when in a pen.

Back
Top Bottom