broody doesnt care for chicks

SilkySilkie

Songster
Aug 7, 2021
Vic,Australia
so i bought this silver laced mix hen with her chicks and they hatched on the 13 of september and since yesterday she has been neglecting them she doesnt call them for food and she seems to like being in the nest box and i think she laid an egg i got 1 more than im meant to get when she sits down the chicks come to her and she attacks them and she also started roosting she showed no signs of leaving them it was just so sudden so a hen was sitting in the nest box and the broody comes and looks into the nest box and starts making alert noises like she saw something but when the hen laid her egg she immediately went inside the nest so im not sure why she left them all of a sudden she didnt roost the night before and was fine then she leaves them im not too sure on what to do

so i bought this silver laced mix hen with her chicks and they hatched on the 13 of september and since yesterday she has been neglecting them she doesnt call them for food and she seems to like being in the nest box and i think she laid an egg i got 1 more than im meant to get when she sits down the chicks come to her and she attacks them and she also started roosting she showed no signs of leaving them it was just so sudden so a hen was sitting in the nest box and the broody comes and looks into the nest box and starts making alert noises like she saw something but when the hen laid her egg she immediately went inside the nest so im not sure why she left them all of a sudden she didnt roost the night before and was fine then she leaves them im not too sure on what to do
There is nothing to do. The kids are on their own now. She's taught them everything they need to know and they don't need her any longer for warmth. It's called weaning the chicks and it's no fun to watch.
It's time for them to put on their big chicken panties and figure out where they now fit into the flock. (It's the bottom of the totem pole for a while).

i know its normal but so soon? i used to have a broody she would never leave her chicks on her own i would always have to jail the broody to separate her and the chicks but this hen just left quite quick

i know its normal but so soon? i used to have a broody she would never leave her chicks on her own i would always have to jail the broody to separate her and the chicks but this hen just left quite quick
It's not soon. Sometimes if the weather is very warm a broody can kick her chicks to the curb when they are 4 or 5 weeks old. Yours are over 7 weeks old. It's time.

Back
Top Bottom