Broody Duck, can I move her nest?

Shoch

Hatching
Oct 4, 2017
245B377D-6EA2-443D-A58B-91EB50538914.png
I noticed that my two Swedish Blues have been ‘missing’ from the rest of the flock when I let them out the past two or three mornings. Eventually they reappear outside, so I wasn’t too concerned. Yesterday I had the day off from work so I had more time to investigate. Both Swedish Blues were in a space between some hay bales and the wall on the inside of my garage. I had set it up this way because the garage is not insulated. One of the two ladies, Basil, came out right away and joined the flock. The other did not. I went in with a flashlight to try and see where she was and I found her on what seems to be a large clutch of eggs. Because of where she is though, I can’t easily access the nest. It’s maybe a foot of space between the hay bale wall and the actual wall. She only came out in the evening momentarily to eat. This morning both were in there again. And again Basil got up, but the other, Neat Feet, stayed. I am interested in letting her hatch the eggs, but I would like to know how many she has, and I think the space she is in would be dangerous for ducklings for a few different reasons. Can I move her nest somewhere she will feel comfortable, but will be safer and provide me access to the nest? Or will that upset her, and lead her to leave the nest?

Back
Top Bottom