Broody Duck Questions

Emmaxx

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
UK
Two of my ducks have gone broody and are sitting on eggs but I have a lot of questions, also complicated by the fact they will be leaving me in the near future.

Firstly, what can I mark the eggs with that will work with ducks? I used a marker with the first few eggs but that rubbed or washed off when they got sat on! Was it just not as 'permanent' as I thought? also I know some say you shouldn't use a marker as it will damage the embryo, but what else then? I'm pretty sure pencil would wash off under a damp duck too, what about a waterproof eyeliner, could that work?

Secondly,if I can find something I can mark the eggs with how do I go about that? There are three ducks total (plus one drake), two nests, and no eggs from the third duck laying around, so I think she must be adding them to the first nest (she started off sitting on it and then gave up but another took over) there's a ridiculous number of eggs in there and she can't possibly be able to keep them all consistently warm and I would like to remove the ones that need to be, and also any new ones, and also just do a head count and work out what stage they are all at etc. Do I just tempt them outside and block them from getting back in while I work as quickly as I can to remove the eggs, candle them all, mark and replace the ones that I should, or will this stress them too much?

I'd also like to give the rest of the house a clean out, is there anything wrong in doing that? And should I do that at the same time or on a different occasion?

Think that's all my questions for now, I will probably have more but need to establish what exactly is going on under those little guys first really. Thanks!:thumbsup

Update: when I went out today there was an egg! So Johnny, my last duck, must have not added it to one of the others' nests, but she did pull up the straw to lay it and looked like she was possibly planning on starting her own nest! Obviously I pulled it out and will continue to do so if she lays anymore there, but is she likely to cause problems if and when there are ducklings if she is getting broody too? Im not sure separating them is an option at the moment.

This time of year boy can they throw a monkey wrench into our best laid plans.

I mark eggs with a permanent marker and haven't had much problem with that but eye liner may work too give it a try.

You go in and do what you need to do if you can get them off the nest. I just pick min e up and sit them outside while I am candling or what ever else I need to do closing the door helps keep them out. If it stresses them they get over it once back on the nest.

If your going to let them hatch ducklings are you sure where they are going is okay with having your ducks and ducklings?

Broody ducks are very moody so once ducklings hatch I'd keep mom and ducklings separated from the others but where everyone can see each other, I usually do it this way for a couple off weeks.

Thank you, I will have to gather some supplies and try my best! Just hope they don't make too much noise as I will have to do it at night when it's dark enough to candle them better! I know what you mean about moody, Crispin has turned into a little monster always pulling faces at me (like she's quacking but without the sound) and puffing herself up when she's off her nest, and running around squawking at everyone lest they forget what a good she's doing sitting on her eggs! :rolleyes:

I added to my thread about school ducks asking about them now going broody but I thought I would start this one so that I could get answers to the questions that would no doubt get asked, like how many eggs, what stage etc. And it keeps me distracted form the frustration of not knowing what's going on that end and all the questions I also have but can't get answers to! :he

I must have missed your other thread sorry, so they say it's fine to have ducklings too?

Yep those lil mamas can be terrors. Mine remind me of Sumo wrestlers all puffed up looking for a fight.

She looks ridiculous, acting so mean but barely bigger than my shoe! :lau

The school one is this one - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/school-ducks.1227538/ you have commented on that one but might have missed when I added about the broodyness! In my meeting with the head teacher I said ducklings could be a possibility (meant more in a in the future way) and he seemed quite pleased with the idea but it was only a passing remark really so we didn't properly discuss it as a factor or anything, so I'm not sure although I doubt it would be a deal breaker. Extra space etc would probably be needed though but like I say I don't know whether they will still be sitting by the time that happens, whether they can hatch and I can sell all the ducklings by then, or what, or what's going on with the school at this time unfortunately :hmm

I think to save confusion I will keep this thread for questions/advice based on me keeping them til such a time as they have hatched and ducklings have been sold or whatever. The other one will just be about the school situation for now until I get moving dates or something more concrete, and then go from there if the two are going to overlap.

I found a wax crayon and tested it out and seems to stay put, would that be okay to use?
Also how long will the eggs be okay for out of the nest? The big, first nest has loads in it! I will move as quickly as I safely can but is there a point where I will need to worry? And you think I should just get both nests checked and the rest cleaned out in one big job rather than breaking it up into smaller jobs?

I don't get many alerts any more it is frustrating sorry I didn't reply. I don't see any reason why a wax crayon wouldn't work.
I would def candle both nest toss the eggs that are not doing anything and add fresh bedding if you want. As for cleaning out the rest I'd just as soon get it all done at once but that is just me. I clean everyday, meaning I go in clean roosts [chickens] scoop out wet poopy shavings I have 3 houses to take care of.

Well I've done it! Didn't wait, just pinned a black bin bag to the window to keep the daylight out, have left that up for now in case they need the encouragement to get back to their nests, but they seem to have returned now so will take it down again in a bit. I hope the crayon works, I did two colours in case if any egg swapping or dumping etc I'd know which one it comes from, so fingers crossed it works!
I started cleaning out first in the hopes they'd get up and leave of their own accord, which they did, and I would have somewhere clean to lay the eggs while I worked my way through them. I don't clean it every day as its a 4x4' playhouse so I have to get in and it's really quite awkward, now two nests in opposite corners to avoid and I didn't know how much disturbance they could tolerate before abandoning the nest so have just been adding dry straw every day or so or do a small section at a time :hmm I know better now!

As for the results...
Crispin - 11 eggs, all look to be around 7 days mark
Bluey - 31 eggs!! :eek: a couple weren't in the nest as such, they were outside but under as tho she way have rejected them but tucked them back in, if that makes any sense at all.... She did the same with the one I removed yesterday and left beside the nest just to see if she would return it as I'd not seen her reject any from the nest.... So really she had 32 eggs in her nest altogether! (that's not counting ones I removed from both nests to check for fertility either)
It also seems that she did so just add to Johnny's nest but built hers on top as they were under a layer of straw!

I have returned 14 eggs to the nest and tried to lay them flatter so they can get even heat compared to the pile she hasd before, but who knows how long she'll keep them like that for! Out of the 17 I removed today, 11 looked clear, 1 was rotten, 3 had died early on, and 2 looked they'd they died very recently or could have been dying, so I've popped them in the Incubator (already had it up and running so why not) just in case I'm wrong, along with a couple of the 'clears' just in case the ever so slight shadows I saw were developing into something!
The 14 back in the nest also looked about 7 days along, tho I tried to move quickly so it was more a case of do they have veins or not, I didn't really study them, and a couple that look a little less developed!

Sorry for such a long post!

Thank you, it sure was! I think that's why I was so worried, I knew there was more than 20 in there, and why I didn't want to hang about analyzing how far along they were, well that and my hands shaking :lol:

Back
Top Bottom