Broody duck stories

You'll want to give mom and new ducklings their own space for a week or more depending on how your drakes act towards the new ducklings. Drake can be rough on new babies even kill them so that is why I like to make a separate area for my moms and babies that way everyone can see each other but non of the adults can get to mom and babies. Not all drakes are killers but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
yes,

I figured I would need to do that. I appreciate the info. What about introducing a new adult female, should I separate her as well?

New baby Duckling arrived Friday, our first. Mom and baby are doing well Drakes seem curious even protective hanging close to pen when baby is out. Will keep them separated for awhile. Thanks for all the info.

Attachments

• 45634.jpeg
    45634.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 45633.jpeg
    45633.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 3
Usually around 4 weeks on they will begin to lay again, now whether she will go broody again this year hard to say we'll just have to wait and see. Is she being a good mama?

Usually around 4 weeks on they will begin to lay again, now whether she will go broody again this year hard to say we'll just have to wait and see. Is she being a good mama?
She is very good and even goes back to nest where she and the baby spend a lot of time. I allow her free roaming twice a day so she can forge but she's ready to go back in pen with baby usually within 15 minutes or so.

You might give them a try together with everyone while your out with them. Only problem is she may not want to go back inside with her duckling:hmm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom