Broody duck stories

1goose2ducks

Songster
Mar 17, 2018
Hi I have my first broody duck and I want to hear about other people’s experience with broody ducks. Share all of your cute, funny, or crazy stories. And if you have pics I would love to see them.

I think it’s funny that they fluff up their feathers kinda like when the hair on a dog or cats back stand up. I never knew they did that before. I also find it funny that they talk your ear off. They keep chattering at you to go away until you are long gone. I enjoyed my broody hen because she would let me pet her since she wasn’t budging off of her nest. It’s a neat experience all around.

I'm new to this whole forum thing so be patient with me.
I have 3 ducks 2 male, 1 female that I adopted as babies before knowing the sex. They've grown up together and done fairly well even not paired equally. My female is brooding now about day 3 or 4. I separated the males during the day giving mom the pen and house. At night they all sleep in the protected house. What else should I do to protect mom and her eggs?

I think it’s funny that they fluff up their feathers kinda like when the hair on a dog or cats back stand up. I never knew they did that before. I also find it funny that they talk your ear off. They keep chattering at you to go away until you are long gone. I enjoyed my broody hen because she would let me pet her since she wasn’t budging off of her nest. It’s a neat experience all around.
Oh my that's what my girl does, the fluffing and squawking ....

I'm new to this whole forum thing so be patient with me.
I have 3 ducks 2 male, 1 female that I adopted as babies before knowing the sex. They've grown up together and done fairly well even not paired equally. My female is brooding now about day 3 or 4. I separated the males during the day giving mom the pen and house. At night they all sleep in the protected house. What else should I do to protect mom and her eggs?

You'll want to give mom and new ducklings their own space for a week or more depending on how your drakes act towards the new ducklings. Drake can be rough on new babies even kill them so that is why I like to make a separate area for my moms and babies that way everyone can see each other but non of the adults can get to mom and babies. Not all drakes are killers but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

94D30F13-A066-418B-85DA-645188A8EE06.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom