Broody duck stories

Yes my broody duck will let me touch her sometimes other times she bites my hand. They can bite hard :) beautiful little call ducks. Mine is very noisy to if she is disturbed.
My brooding duck is very loud. she doesn't want me near unless I'm bringing food or a treat. I'm giving her some private space during the day with her own water and keeping the boys just in sight.

My drake will attack me anytime I pick up his favorite girl. He tries to bite me then lays his body on hers like “take me instead, just don’t hurt her”. It’s sad, funny, and irritating all at once.:lau

Awww that’s cute mine just comes flying across our property when she makes the slightest quack and he tries to break through the wall to get to her.

I'm new to this whole forum thing so be patient with me.
I have 3 ducks 2 male, 1 female that I adopted as babies before knowing the sex. They've grown up together and done fairly well even not paired equally. My female is brooding now about day 3 or 4. I separated the males during the day giving mom the pen and house. At night they all sleep in the protected house. What else should I do to protect mom and her eggs?

You'll want to give mom and new ducklings their own space for a week or more depending on how your drakes act towards the new ducklings. Drake can be rough on new babies even kill them so that is why I like to make a separate area for my moms and babies that way everyone can see each other but non of the adults can get to mom and babies. Not all drakes are killers but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes she is in a separate area and when/if the eggs hatch they will get a bigger inclosed area with a shallow pond.

He is our male Indian runner duck and he has tried to sit on eggs before. Do the males and females ever raise the babies together.

Nope only geese share parenting. That I know of.

My Muscovy drake will go in and look at the eggs and make lil noises like he is talking to them. Silly boy.

Back
Top Bottom