Broody duck stories

1goose2ducks

Songster
Mar 17, 2018
Hi I have my first broody duck and I want to hear about other people’s experience with broody ducks. Share all of your cute, funny, or crazy stories. And if you have pics I would love to see them.

I think it was last year or the year before, I had my baby woodies (Australian Wood duck ducklings) with me and I was trying to get one of my ducks to take care of them. So I went in with one of my broody Muscovy duck (I think it was Cheeper) and closed the door behind me. A little thing to keep in mind is that most of our enclosures have the latch longer (Don’t think that makes sense) to be able to open it from the inside. But anyways I closed the door behind me and I tried to get the broody duck to accept them but she just kept biting me and the ducklings. After a while I gave out then tried to open the door, BUT I couldn’t because the duck enclosure doesn’t have one, so I was hitting the door and stuff and the broody duck was attacking me at the same time. Luckily I had my phone on me and I rang and messaged mum, BUT she left her phone in the car so she didn’t know. After a while she came and let me out and laughed at me... and that’s it.

I think it’s funny that they fluff up their feathers kinda like when the hair on a dog or cats back stand up. I never knew they did that before. I also find it funny that they talk your ear off. They keep chattering at you to go away until you are long gone. I enjoyed my broody hen because she would let me pet her since she wasn’t budging off of her nest. It’s a neat experience all around.

I can only best describe them as Crocodiles..I have three Call hens all Broody and setting eggs. Yapping little crocs....:gig
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG

I'm new to this whole forum thing so be patient with me.
I have 3 ducks 2 male, 1 female that I adopted as babies before knowing the sex. They've grown up together and done fairly well even not paired equally. My female is brooding now about day 3 or 4. I separated the males during the day giving mom the pen and house. At night they all sleep in the protected house. What else should I do to protect mom and her eggs?

I think it’s funny that they fluff up their feathers kinda like when the hair on a dog or cats back stand up. I never knew they did that before. I also find it funny that they talk your ear off. They keep chattering at you to go away until you are long gone. I enjoyed my broody hen because she would let me pet her since she wasn’t budging off of her nest. It’s a neat experience all around.
Oh my that's what my girl does, the fluffing and squawking ....

Back
Top Bottom