broody duck

laurenwoods

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
hi all

i have a female aylesbury duck that has gone broody i dont have a drake so her eggs are not fertile ive removed all her eggs but she continues sitting on an empty nest ive tried keeping her out of her nesting box during the day but we have had some pretty bad weather recently so have been forced to let her back in. she has been sitting like this for about a week now. my question is if i was to buy some fertile eggs would it be to late to put them under her as she has already been sitting for a week.
any advice would be great thanks

I had one that was sitting on PVC pipe for a week. I stole eggs from another broody, put them in the incubator and then when they were getting ready to hatch stuck them underneath her. It worked and she hatched all 4 that I put under her.

edited to add: my ducks are Indian Runners - I had 7 go broody within a few weeks of each other

Last edited:
Put some under her. Until you get some, give her a golf ball or something to keep her broody--even some of the infertile eggs. Once you put other eggs under her she won't know how long she's been setting and will stay at it until the eggs hatch.

Back
Top Bottom