Broody Easter Egger?

Thank you very much! She seemed to accept her fate yesterday and calmed down in there. I have to admit I was so worried about leaving her in there all night that when it was their bedtime I blocked off the nest boxes and put her in the coop with her sister. She went right up on the roost. We went out for a couple hours and got home at 11pm, I checked on her and she was still roosting with her sister. Let her out this morning and put her right back in jail (and unblocked the nest boxes for Lizabeth). Hopefully this method will still work.
That will work too, as long as she doesnt get a chance to brood.

I checked her today to make sure she wasn’t egg bound since I have no experience with broody or egg binding. I didn’t feel an egg in her. She has been having huge poops when she is out - broody poops I have read about? I decided to put her in jail for the weekend.

Edit:
She had been good on Wednesday, but then she went in the nest box and no matter how many times I took her out she would go back in, yesterday I assume she was in there all day as well. No egg since Monday. She still is not cranky, growling or biting but I assume she is going down the broody road.

Berta is NOT happy about her current situation. Is this an ok set up for broody jail?

View attachment 2770839
View attachment 2770840View attachment 2770842View attachment 2770844

I had the cage elevated but the mesh I have isn’t hardware mesh, it’s just soft garden mesh and with her crooked little toes she was stumbling around too much. I was afraid she’d hurt herself so I put the kennel right on the ground.
I plan on gearing up a tarp to protect from the elements.
Any additional advice is appreciated.
next time it might help to flip that crate, and have the side with wider gaps on top. That’s what I do with mine...

UPDATE:
Roberta had laid her last egg July 19 and then decided to dabble in broodiness. Not full blown, she never got growly or cranky but she really liked the nest box. I argued with her for a week about it before putting her in broody jail for a weekend, July 23-25. After that I let her out with her sister but as soon as her sister laid her egg for the day, I had to block off the nest boxes or every now and then Roberta would creep back in there for a bit. Last night when I went to block them off I was happy to find a Roberta egg! I guess (hope!) his means my girl is over her bout of broodiness. Hopefully she doesn’t decided to relapse!
Since she has tried to go broody once will this mean she likely to do it again in the future?

C0AD04B6-9559-4435-B8FD-BE4B37568DF4.jpeg
My broody looked like this: a fluffy screaming black-and-white pile of fluff.

Back
Top Bottom