Broody for a week - Will the hen be fooled?

shawthorne44

Songster
Jun 23, 2017
We have 6 elderly Australope hens and one volunteer turkey (she just showed up and seemed like she'd been lonely).

About 2 weeks ago after a couple of months of leaving a pile of ceramic eggs in a nesting box, Super Chicken went broody. We wanted one of the hens to go broody to help integrate the chicks. We have 20 chicks arriving next week. Our plan was to slip chicks under her in the middle of the night. She's only nesting on 11 ceramic eggs, but we figured she wouldn't notice. Plus, maybe that is her super-power is getting 20 chicks from 11 eggs.

We had thought that the turkey had moved on down the road since we didn't see her around anymore. But, then we sometimes saw her around the food. Last week I followed her in the evening and we learned that she has been brooding in a box in the garage. We have no idea when that started. She is so dumb all her eggs have exploded and she still broods on them.

Last night Broody Betty went broody. Her name was initially Betty Boop after her leg charm, but it changed for obvious reasons. She was also the most stubbornly broody.

So, assuming everyone is still broody when the chicks arrive. Do, you think it is safe to put some chicks under Betty or will she smell a rat? What about under Tommie the Turkey? If it matters, she is a Royal Palm.

Note, the elderly hens are what is left from our first flock, and these will be the first additions.

Also, we are in Texas and it is pretty warm here now.

I'm have no advice for you but seeing as this post is a few weeks old I'm really curious as to what happened? Did the Broody hen become the chicks mama?

Back
Top Bottom