broody for how long

David61

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
Mississippi Gulf Coast
How long will she sit the nest? I take the eggs out from under her every evening. She comes off the nest each morning sounding like her heads on fire when i open the coop/run door to feed and turn out. She Eats, drinks and back on someones egg.

How long will she sit the nest? I take the eggs out from under her every evening. She comes off the nest each morning sounding like her heads on fire when i open the coop/run door to feed and turn out. She Eats, drinks and back on someones egg.
Could be a week, could be a few months. Just depends on when her hormones let up or she has to decide whether to sit and starve or get up amd abandon the nest

I had my first broody stay on a nest of unfertilized Eggs and then no eggs for about 5 or 6 weeks. I kept taking her off and putting her outside for food but she wouldnt quit. I didnt have the heart to break her. Then one day after fall temps came she just popped off the nest like nothing happened. She went into A hard molt about a week later and was very weak due to her time on the nest She was so wobbly she almost fell over. I fed her lots of proteins and greens and shes good as new! Im hoping she will now set on my fertilized eggs. Fingers crossed!

I didnt have the heart to break her. {snip}
was very weak due to her time on the nest She was so wobbly she almost fell over.
Since you were not planning to originally have her hatch it would've been best if you'd broken her at the start, rather than letting her sit 6 weeks. It's unusual, but hens can pass away from losing too much body condition.

Is she broody again? How long has it been since she recovered?

No she has not gone broody again. But she is still getting all of her feathers in. Im hoping she’ll come around once her molt is complete. She is fully recovered and looking healthy. I have 2 nests w 7 silkie and bantam eggs each that I would love to hatch. My silkie hens who I did break recently Arent paying any attention to them either. I hate to throw the eggs away. How long should I wait to see if anyone gets interested?

No she has not gone broody again. But she is still getting all of her feathers in. Im hoping she’ll come around once her molt is complete. She is fully recovered and looking healthy. I have 2 nests w 7 silkie and bantam eggs each that I would love to hatch. My silkie hens who I did break recently Arent paying any attention to them either. I hate to throw the eggs away. How long should I wait to see if anyone gets interested?
How old is the bird in question? If she's over 18+ months or thereabouts, she more than likely won't come back into lay after molt until spring, and that also means her hormones aren't going to put her into a broody state either.

A quick google says fertile eggs stored in proper conditions can be kept up to 10-12 days before hatchability decreases significantly.

How old is the bird in question? If she's over 18+ months or thereabouts, she more than likely won't come back into lay after molt until spring, and that also means her hormones aren't going to put her into a broody state either.

A quick google says fertile eggs stored in proper conditions can be kept up to 10-12 days before hatchability decreases significantly.
Thanks for your reply. Some of the eggs have a few days left and Ill have to toss them. They all started laying at once after a lull. When they were broody no one was laying except for my big hens. Oh well.

Thanks for your reply. Some of the eggs have a few days left and Ill have to toss them. They all started laying at once after a lull. When they were broody no one was laying except for my big hens. Oh well.
Oh and all of my hens are less than a year

Back
Top Bottom