broody forever, eggs missing, is she eating them?

Portalguy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Ripton, Vermont
Folks,

We have a broody Sussex that started sitting on about a dozen eggs at least five weeks ago. None have hatched. Now there are just five eggs left. I am wondering, what happened to the other seven.

Did a search and learned some things about caring for a hen that is broody beyond six weeks... but nothing that answered this exact question. She gets out at least once a day for a stretch,eat, drink and do her 'business'. and then gets right back on the eggs. We have a flock of 28 with two roosters and ample sex. Another hen successfully raised a family in the Spring and each egg hatched... so I am stymied. Is it possible the remaining five eggs were duds?

Is it possible that a broody hen that's well-cared for with food/water in reach, would eat her own eggs?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Robert
Ripton, Vermont

Were they chicken eggs? Five weeks is way too long for them to take to hatch. They should have hatched after about 21 days of incubation so if they've gone five weeks, they are duds and not only will not hatch, but may be rotten so I would handle them VERY carefully.

While I wouldn't rule out the hen eating them, an egg-eating snake is a more likely suspect. Or, it could be that she is rolling an egg she knows is a dud out of the nest and other flock members, or even your dogs, are eating them.

Back
Top Bottom