Broody Girl Broken?

cozycoop1314

Songster
5 Years
Jan 6, 2017
Holland, MI
I had a broody gal that I put in a "broody buster" for 2 days. Yesterday, I watched to see if she needed to go back in. She stayed out of the coop the whole day, except went in a bit early for bed. But while doing the usual chicken stuff, she was still fluffing up big & doing that broody clucking at times. I have one girl who is bossing her around & clearly trying to remind her where shes at in the pecking order (she's my bottom girl) & anytime that one is coming at her, she fluffs up & does the broody clucking.

Again this morning, she was a little reluctant to come out of the coop, fluffing & clucking, but once out she has been fine, doing her normal stuff, but again fluffing & clucking when that other bossy chicken comes around.

My question is, is she broken if shes out & about but still fluffing up? Should I put her back in until she isnt fluffing anymore? If so, would the bullying/pecking order be worse if shes in there longer?

The hormones can hang on for days after a broody has lost the urge to sit in a nest. The gold standard sign that a broody has been broken is that she can be trusted not to return to the nest when she's set free of broody confinement.
Thank you! Then I guess she's probably good, just still a bit hormonal. She really has been staying out of the coop & nesting boxes yesterday & this morning so thinking I'll keep her out unless I see her heading into the nesting boxes again. Thanks for your reply

Back
Top Bottom