Broody hatch crushed egg

chiknGeek

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Northwest MO
I have a broody whose eggs are due to hatch Friday. This morning I found an egg that is mostly crushed. The membrane is intact except one little tear. There is a bit of blood at the tear. The membrane is pretty dry. Should I let the egg try to hatch?

Is there any danger to the other eggs with that?
Probably no danger to the other eggs, especially if you check every day or so and remove it if it is clearly dead.

The worst scenario I can think of: it might break open and make a mess on the outside of the other eggs. The mess might encourage the hen or other chickens to peck the other eggs, and provide good material for bacteria to grow.

But if you see a mess, you can clean it up; and since they are pretty close to hatching, there are not many days left in which bacteria even could grow to hurt the others.

So I don't think it is likely to be a big deal, because even the "worst" I can think of is still not too bad to manage.

I have a broody whose eggs are due to hatch Friday. This morning I found an egg that is mostly crushed. The membrane is intact except one little tear. There is a bit of blood at the tear. The membrane is pretty dry. Should I let the egg try to hatch?
let it try, but I would see if the baby is still alive. If you have an incubator, I would manually hatch this egg, that way you could apply some coconut oil to the membrane exposed to prevent it drying out.

I did try candling but couldn't really see anything. Nearly half the shell is gone and all that area of membrane is exposed. I don't have an incubator to use.

I think there is a developed chick, but I don't see any signs of it moving. 😕

I did try candling but couldn't really see anything. Nearly half the shell is gone and all that area of membrane is exposed. I don't have an incubator to use.

I think there is a developed chick, but I don't see any signs of it moving. 😕
any veins?
I hope it hasn't passed, it is possible it is sleeping, but it is concerning.
I would put some coconut oil on the exposed membrane. I, however, manually hatch, I have no experience with broodies 😕
If you post a photo of candling, we might be able to tell if the baby is alive, but at this point it may be best to just leave it under mama so not to disturb her. Not sure.

It did have veins still. I don't think it is alive anymore. It looks like the membrane dried out too much. I have decided to take it. :( Six eggs left on the nest. Hoping she's a good momma hen.

Back
Top Bottom