Broody Hatchalong!

Pics
Quail are so great! I raise them for meat but their eggs are good too. But very rich.
Cool! I just hope we'll ve able to hatch enough to last our family for a while. My family is... quite large.
Same! I have a small aviary thing by my chicken coop. I thought I would keep some breeders in quail cages and then use the aviary as a grow out pen. I had some a few weeks ago but the place I bought them from did not care for them well. Over half had bumblefoot, big chunks of poop cemented around their toes making it impossible to walk. Not to mention they were only 6-8 ounces. So I had a small quail feast and ordered some Jumbo White-winged quail eggs from Myshire Farm. I can't wait for them to arrive!
Oh, that's too bad. Poor things.

Cool! I just hope we'll ve able to hatch enough to last our family for a while. My family is... quite large.

Oh, that's too bad. Poor things.
Then I think they should be perfect! They lay so many eggs you can always be incubating. And hatching them is supposed to be the easiest of almost any poultry. Ive had someone tell me you could leave eggs out in the sun in the summer and they would hatch 🤣. I was never interested in quail because I thought they were to small to amount to any good amount of meat. I just didn't know they are full grown at 8-10 weeks!

Oh cool! Also I see that you have wood ducks? Ive always been curious how people keep more "wild" breeds of duck. Can they free range or do they have to be in a coop?
I do!
They are being kept in a large tractor that is inside of a shed until my aviary is done. They cannot ever free range unless they're really tame, or if their wings are pinioned. I can have wild geese out sometimes, they're smart enough to stay around. Ducks like leaving though, lol. And they're expensive. I'm going to be putting in a pond and netting in an aviary area this spring.

I do!
They are being kept in a large tractor that is inside of a shed until my aviary is done. They cannot ever free range unless they're really tame, or if their wings are pinioned. I can have wild geese out sometimes, they're smart enough to stay around. Ducks like leaving though, lol. And they're expensive. I'm going to be putting in a pond and netting in an aviary area this spring.
Wow! Thats awesome. I would love to get some some sort of wild waterfowl some day. Can you breed them and sell the ducklings/eggs. I have also seen some of the prices and you can probably make some good money from that.

Wow! Thats awesome. I would love to get some some sort of wild waterfowl some day. Can you breed them and sell the ducklings/eggs. I have also seen some of the prices and you can probably make some good money from that.
I'm so excited to get mine.
Yes, but you have to have a state and federal permit, and they cost a little over $200 to get. And...the GF&P gets to inspect everything at any time. Which I think is a bit too intrusive for my liking, so I'm just keeping mine for fun.
"The Phantom" is a user on here, she breeds and sells wild birds. They're pricy though. I'm buying some goslings from her this spring! I can't wait.

I'm so excited to get mine.
Yes, but you have to have a state and federal permit, and they cost a little over $200 to get. And...the GF&P gets to inspect everything at any time. Which I think is a bit too intrusive for my liking, so I'm just keeping mine for fun.
"The Phantom" is a user on here, she breeds and sells wild birds. They're pricy though. I'm buying some goslings from her this spring! I can't wait.
Oh wow. I had no idea there was so much red tape with selling them!

Oh wow. I had no idea there was so much red tape with selling them!
There is A LOT of red tape. Even more than just the couple things I mentioned. Your birds have to be health checked often, they must be pinioned in some way before 6 weeks of age, any progeny from your own birds must be recorded throughout the year and submitted to your GF&P office in the first week in January (I think), etc. etc.

There is A LOT of red tape. Even more than just the couple things I mentioned. Your birds have to be health checked often, they must be pinioned in some way before 6 weeks of age, any progeny from your own birds must be recorded throughout the year and submitted to your GF&P office in the first week in January (I think), etc. etc.
Thats incredible

(and I don't mean that in such a good way)

It's okay. My sisters were more disappointed because they were two of the ones they had named.

Hmm, not a bad idea. :p

Oh, silly girls. Well, it sounds like they're thinking about it.

Well, obviously it's the best box! 😂
And the box next to that one will be the best box next week!🤣

Back
Top Bottom