Broody Hatchalong!

Pics
Silver laced English Orpington x Rhode island red x Easter egger mix breed chick #1!
image0 (27).jpeg

Oh no!! First of all, is the hens food right next to her? This is the only time i've heard of a hen pooping on her eggs - when she doesn't have to leave the nest for food and water.

But yes, that can definitely affect the hatch rate. They may become infected and stuff. best to keep them very clean. I would suggest a warm SLIGHTLY damp paper towel and GENTLY wipe off as much as you can. Careful not to be to harsh and wipe away the bloom.
No, she has to get up to eat and usually to poop. she had been doing so well keeping her nest clean. I guess she tried to stay too long.

My little half hatched Maran died last night. I feel terrible, everyone told me to get a second thermometer but I didn't. I opened it up and on day 26 and still had a large chunk of yolk. My cheap amazon incubator must have been way colder than it read. Just developed too slow. But now at least I can get my quail eggs out of my crappy incubator and into my NR 360.

Back
Top Bottom