Broody Hatchalong!

@Secondof9 @maceleneo @Auntiejessi3 @Molpet @Chicken Momma 27 @Sally PB @Anne02 and many more I missed!

THINGS ARE HAPPENING!! 😂

One of my chicks hatched a few hours ago and at least one more has pipped! the one in the picture is from the BlackCM/BlueCM egg. Looks like its gonna fill out like its mother (the BlackCM)
unnamed.jpg

I just went to check in on my BO and found instead - my jersey giant/BCM mix sitting on the eggs. I figured she was just laying on top of the clutch, but when I was holding my Buff Orpington and when I set her down she walked on over to the nesting box and the Jersey Giant (big bertha) gave a few of these weird, aggressive, growly noises. Is this the broody growl Ive read about?? I would be so excited to have multiple broody hens!! But I need to get ready for a lot more chickens :lol:.

Another question/comment for anyone still online :lol::

I just went outside to check again and now my Black Australorp is sitting on the eggs!! Big Bertha is walking around outside eating bugs and Eddie is just guarding the nesting box! Is this normal for chickens to "take turns" or are they all just trying out broodiness. I wanted to see if she was just laying another egg on top of them all but I took an egg from the nesting box over and she quickly scooped it underneath her and puffed her feathers over it. She was also giving me some light growls.
Sorry, I said Eddie but never said who Eddie is:lol:. She's my Buff Orpington I first saw setting.

Okay, I took the eggs from the Australorp and put them in with the BO in the chicken tractor. The australorp was pissed but I left her with a golf ball and a few fake eggs to keep her happy until I have more eggs to give her. The BO is very happily sitting on the eggs now and has starter feed and water. IM SO EXCITED!!! I only moved out to the country around 6 months ago from the suburbs. I would never have dreamed of this back then. This might be one of the most exciting things that has happened with the animals since I moved :D!!!!

(p.s. I gave her 12 eggs, I hope that isn't too much)

Attachments

• unnamed-6.jpg
    unnamed-6.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom