Broody Hatchalong!

hi! is it too late to join? my marans pingu went broody last week and I gave her some (hopefully) fertile eggs on easter, so they should be hatching around april 25. I'm really excited: this is my first year raising chickens and none of my hens went broody before, but she seems to know what she's doing!
Never too late! She's a beautiful Maran too!

(also my first time with a broody and I have learned so much!)

Uh oh, just found a bit of a problem. I found a poultry lice on one of the extra eggs I picked out from under my broody. What do I do??!?!? She's only a week away from hatching the chicks, and I don't want them biting the chicks themselves! I put some mite herb mix all around the coop. I don't know how that effects lice though. Does anyone know any treatment. Im going to go start a separate thread as well.

Uh oh, just found a bit of a problem. I found a poultry lice on one of the extra eggs I picked out from under my broody. What do I do??!?!? She's only a week away from hatching the chicks, and I don't want them biting the chicks themselves! I put some mite herb mix all around the coop. I don't know how that effects lice though. Does anyone know any treatment. Im going to go start a separate thread as well.
sorry, I don't have any experience with parasites. as far as I know lices just eat dead skin and they shouldn't bite your chicks. I found this article in the learning center, maybe it can help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention.64597/

Oh okay, I will look into that. I have a friend that lended me some Elector PSP to use. I did that last night. Then I put some diatomaceous earth where they do their dust baths. Now today I'm going to do a deep clean of their coop, use some pyrethrin in the cracks and stuff, then a little diatomaceous earth dusting, I have a whole bunch of dried herbs and stuff I will use to deter future pests. Then the bedding, same thing in the nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom