Broody hatching eggs!

Jan 5, 2020
I had a hen go broody and the eggs finally hatched! I am so exited to see how the chicks will do!! This is my second hen to ever go broody (both got 7 eggs)! I will add images to this as I take them!!!!
(Also, if anyone else here uses Instagram, i will also be posting images with updates on my chickens Instagram, @Codys_chickstagram)

Does anyone have any tips on moving a broody out of her nest into a different/ safer location, she is currently in her own nest inside the main chicken coop, and I would like to move her to a smaller coop with grass so she can teach the chicks without other chickens bothering her!

Attachments

Ridgerunner

Free Ranging
11 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
I'd wait until the hen brings her chicks off the nest and onto the coop floor. The nest is probably kind of tight and she will likely protest, chicks could get hurt in that tight space. Plus she will know better than you when the hatch is over. Then carefully pick the hen up and lock her in the new area. Then go back and gather the chicks and put them in with the hen.

The reason I said carefully pick her up is that chicks often climb up under her wings or under the feathers. I one crushed and killed a chick that was under a broody hen's wing when I picked her up. Not a good feeling.

I personally like my hens to raise the chicks with the flock so she can handle integration and the flock gets used to them. Some people isolate the hen and chicks for a few days, until they get more mobile. Others isolate the hen and chicks so long they have to handle integration themselves. Different ways to do it. I don;t know enough about your set-up to even guess which might be best for you.

Another warning. Make sure the chicks cannot leave your enclosure so that they are way from the protection of the hen. If the chicks can get out and mingle with the others without the broody to protect them they are at risk. Plus they may have trouble getting back to her on their own.

Jan 5, 2020
I'd wait until the hen brings her chicks off the nest and onto the coop floor. The nest is probably kind of tight and she will likely protest, chicks could get hurt in that tight space. Plus she will know better than you when the hatch is over. Then carefully pick the hen up and lock her in the new area. Then go back and gather the chicks and put them in with the hen.

The reason I said carefully pick her up is that chicks often climb up under her wings or under the feathers. I one crushed and killed a chick that was under a broody hen's wing when I picked her up. Not a good feeling.

I personally like my hens to raise the chicks with the flock so she can handle integration and the flock gets used to them. Some people isolate the hen and chicks for a few days, until they get more mobile. Others isolate the hen and chicks so long they have to handle integration themselves. Different ways to do it. I don;t know enough about your set-up to even guess which might be best for you.

Another warning. Make sure the chicks cannot leave your enclosure so that they are way from the protection of the hen. If the chicks can get out and mingle with the others without the broody to protect them they are at risk. Plus they may have trouble getting back to her on their own.
Thank you!

Top Bottom