Broody hen - am I handling this right?

Update: Chicken jail for 3 days did the trick! She's no longer acting broody and my daily egg production is slowly rising. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience, tips, and encouragement with a newbie! :thumbsup
Congrats!!
She's laying again already....or just removing her reduced stress on the others?

Mine's not broody any more either. I never did give her a second cool bath... when I came home that day, I was just too tired to do it! So I took her off the nest and locked her out of the coop and yard to free range the rest of the day. It had been raining for a couple of days so DH hadn't been able to mow, so she spent all afternoon foraging in cool grass up to her belly. And the next day, she stayed off the nest and hasn't gone back, so yay!

Congrats!!
She's laying again already....or just removing her reduced stress on the others?
Both I think - she's definitely laying again because she had an egg in "jail" on the last day. And I think she's not emitting whatever hormone goes crazy when they're broody which inhibits the others from laying - and she's not hogging the nesting boxes. So yes & yes!

Mine's not broody any more either. I never did give her a second cool bath... when I came home that day, I was just too tired to do it! So I took her off the nest and locked her out of the coop and yard to free range the rest of the day. It had been raining for a couple of days so DH hadn't been able to mow, so she spent all afternoon foraging in cool grass up to her belly. And the next day, she stayed off the nest and hasn't gone back, so yay!
Wonderful! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom