Broody hen - am I handling this right?

When I have a broody hen and no fertile eggs, I just take her out of the nesting box every day, a few times a day. She gets mad at me, but then starts foraging for a minute. After about a week she gives up.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago I decided to allow one to be broody and ordered some fertile eggs. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to pull the infertile eggs out from under her every day, but doing so broke her broody mood and guess who had to go out and buy an incubator.:th
Too funny!!!! Maybe if I had realized what was going on in the beginning taking her out each day would have worked, but I did that for a week or so to no avail. Good luck on your new chicks!:jumpy

Tough love has always been difficult for me. Definitely something I need to work on. :) How do you like your eggs? I'm running out of recipes/ideas.
Any way I can get them lol! :drool Made a couple dozen deviled eggs for a family reunion this weekend and everyone loved them. My personal favorite is beet pickled eggs from an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe I have. I could eat them all day. Your favorite?

Any way I can get them lol! :drool Made a couple dozen deviled eggs for a family reunion this weekend and everyone loved them. My personal favorite is beet pickled eggs from an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe I have. I could eat them all day. Your favorite?

Pickled eggs I haven't tried yet. I haven't eaten them since I was a kid! I like my eggs, scrambled, fried, poached, hard boiled, and just recently I made a boring quiche (all I had on hand to add was cheese).

Last time we had one go broody, we dunked her in cool water up to her neck. We held her there for a couple of minutes and then released her. Now this was in the middle of summer when it was very hot out. It worked after the third dip. We did it once a day.

Sigh. Gonna go try this on my broody BO. She ain't never gonna hatch those golf balls ....

Last time we had one go broody, we dunked her in cool water up to her neck. We held her there for a couple of minutes and then released her. Now this was in the middle of summer when it was very hot out. It worked after the third dip. We did it once a day.
Hhhmmm, I will keep that in mind. I didn't try it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom