Broody hen and eggs got wet- What should I do?

Pastel the Rooster

Free Ranging
Apr 22, 2022
Southern Georgia
My young Barnevelder hen decided to go broody in a span of two weeks. -I was out of town and the person watching them did not collect eggs, so I have no idea when she went broody (could of gone broody at a max of four days ago and a min of two weeks.-) She is in a really bad spot... Meaning underneath a big lifted up rectangle that they hang out in... I'll try and grab a picture later-
But basically it started POURING and she moved towards the back of the box-she was near the front- and it is very hard to access her- I didn't choose that nest to be clear 🙄- and some of her eggs were in frost of her and she was soaking wet, and now u don't know what to do. I pushed the eggs near her, and I've heard that wet eggs can hatch.
I just really want her to hatch out those eggs and be a mom before I find homes for the chicks.
Also I know that the eggs are fertile even though I removed my rooster for the two weeks I was gone, because my rooster does a very good job making sure that all those eggs would hatch 😬
Also, she was laying on top of them looking very uncomfortable and was soaking wet.

I am so sorry if that didn't make sense. I am very tired because the time where I was for two weeks is FOUR HOURS behind where it is at home.
Also I am just lazy and don't want to write right now...
Someone please tell me if I should just give up on these eggs and get Willow off the nest and happy again. I really want my nice baby back and not the baby who tried to kill me when I tried petting her. I also don't want her to get wet. Should I get an actual nest box and move her and the eggs into it?

Hello!

They can definitely still hatch! I would take them out of the rain or water and gently pat them or lightly wipe them dry. You can either move the eggs and the hen to a new nest where it will stay dry, or take them and hatch them yourself. At this point, it may be better to use an incubator, because it’s less likely that bacteria will grow or get into the shells that way. If you don’t have one or yours is correctly unavailable, hatching them under the hen will probably still work so long as you’re able to move her without breaking her broodiness. There are several ways to move a broody and her nest…
The behavior you were talking about simply comes with broodiness, and most hens just act like this while they are setting on eggs and trying to hatch chicks.

Hello!

They can definitely still hatch! I would take them out of the rain or water and gently pat them or lightly wipe them dry. You can either move the eggs and the hen to a new nest where it will stay dry, or take them and hatch them yourself. At this point, it may be better to use an incubator, because it’s less likely that bacteria will grow or get into the shells that way. If you don’t have one or yours is correctly unavailable, hatching them under the hen will probably still work so long as you’re able to move her without breaking her broodiness. There are several ways to move a broody and her nest…
The behavior you were talking about simply comes with broodiness, and most hens just act like this while they are setting on eggs and trying to hatch chicks.
I think that I'm going to keep them under the hen, but I will see if I can move her.
Unfortunately the area where she is is quite difficult to reach, but I will try to take her eggs and then move her to a different spot.
Thanks for the tip 😁

I think that I'm going to keep them under the hen, but I will see if I can move her.
Unfortunately the area where she is is quite difficult to reach, but I will try to take her eggs and then move her to a different spot.
Thanks for the tip 😁
Any updates? I have 3 broodies in one nesting box (their choice!), and we had a terrible storm overnight. Rain came from all directions and basically blew into the box sideways.

Any updates? I have 3 broodies in one nesting box (their choice!), and we had a terrible storm overnight. Rain came from all directions and basically blew into the box sideways.
Oh sorry

Hope your eggs are okay.

One egg hatched, but I was gone, and baby died. I knew that she was gonna hatch, because I saw the pip and heard her chirping, but when I got back the next day (today) she was dead next to Willow.

I may take the other eggs and out them in my incubator. I'm also gonna try to candle them.

Oh sorry

Hope your eggs are okay.

One egg hatched, but I was gone, and baby died. I knew that she was gonna hatch, because I saw the pip and heard her chirping, but when I got back the next day (today) she was dead next to Willow.

I may take the other eggs and out them in my incubator. I'm also gonna try to candle them.
I'm sorry the chick didn't make it. I hope the others are ok!

Thanks. I kicked Willow off of the nest for a moment to stretch her legs (she didn't by the way. She just sat down on the floor) I held the eggs up to my ear and looked for pips. No peeps, and no pips. I'm getting worried.
Is there any chance she would let you candle them?
I know you're not meant to handle the eggs, but if you're really worried then just do it carefully.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom